Thread: Nutrition in pregnancy

getinmybelly!! Guest

Default Nutrition in pregnancy

Are there any articles on nutrition on here that I could be directed to?

My doctor says I have ketones in my urine which he says is because I am not eating enough calories for the energy I am using which means my body is going into my fat stores.

I thought I was eating okay but when I told hubby he said he had noticed I wasn't eating much. I guess cause I feel sick most of the time I am happy just to get anything in, let alone worrying about eating more.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can eat that is higher in calories but still healthy?

Thanks
    Stayinmybelly!!

There is an article on the main BB site which you may find useful: Nutrition in Pregnancy

Do you like dairy? The first thing that came to mind was things like homemade fruit smoothies... they would be fairly high in calories, but also good for you because of the calcium and fruit content. Also yoghurt (not a Lite one though) ?
    Fruit juice as well? ...

i was thinking something like smoothies too. because they have a lot of nutritional value, but contain fruit and dairy and are pretty easy to digest. first tri can be so difficult to eat properly, i hope the MS eases for you soon,

getinmybelly!! Guest

Thanks Ambah and Linda.

So what goes in a smoothie? 8-[

Should I cut out low fat milk etc do you think? I never eat full fat anything just out of habit.

Yeah you may as well go the full-cream milk, it couldn't hurt... and when you are able to eat more again, maybe cut back down to low fat milk.

Do you have a blender?
    You can use milk, a scoop or 2 of ice-cream or frozen yoghurt, fruit such as chopped up banana/ strawberries/ mango, or a combination (I used to have banana & mango - yum!) and a spoon of honey... and thats pretty much it!
    Very easy to make...

HTH

mmmm....maybe we'll start a smoothie recipe in that forum... trots off to start one

Custardtart Guest

You can definitely afford to have full-fat milk and yoghurt while you are pregnant, you need the calories to grow the baby!

My favourite smoothie combination is:
    Banana, strawberries, dollop of honey, natural yoghurt, milk.

Kerrie

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

getinmybelly!!,

Calories (or kilojoules) are completely different to fat - you usually find things that say "low fat!!" are just higher in kilojoules instead. Perhaps you should see a health consultant like a nutritionist, (there is actually one in the Professional Support Panel), because you have to be careful when increasing calories/kilojoules that you aren't increasing your intake of too much fat too.

But if you need the kilojoules, this doesn't mean fat which isn't healthy in larger amounts.

As for the smoothies, I think there is actually a recipe in the recipes section if you run a search? Milk is fine to go full-fat but I don't know if that will help your calorie intake too - not sure what difference there is in calories from full or reduced fat.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

If you're worried about not getting enough nutrients (as opposed to just calories) make sure you're taking a pregnancy vitamin supplement... I couldn't keep much food down for 1st trimester so took supplements daily so at least bubs was getting what it needed.

getinmybelly!! Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dee73
    If you're worried about not getting enough nutrients (as opposed to just calories) make sure you're taking a pregnancy vitamin supplement... I couldn't keep much food down for 1st trimester so took supplements daily so at least bubs was getting what it needed.
    I am having Blackmores Pregnancy and BF Formula, but apparently I still need to have extra calories.

I have had juice this morning and am about to go for a walk. When I get back I'll make my banana and mango smoothie.

I am in the middle of some study in nutrition and while I have no qualification I would look at your carbohydrate intake. Perhaps you arent eating many? When you are pregnant you definately need more carbs but you want to make sure they are good ones like whole grain breads etc. Look for things that have a low GI as they tend to have the complex carbs in them. You definately dont need fat increased in your diet though. Smoothies are great for getting something in when you arent feeling great but I would only have one a day and that isnt going to fix your ketone levels.

When you are trying to lose weight one of the main ways of doing so is generally but cutting most carbs out of your diet. What that does though is makes you body eat itself away and ketones are the byproduct of this whole process. I have even seen naturopaths get their clients to pee on what is called ketone sticks to measur the ketone levels in the urine. Ketone levels that are really high can be pretty dangerous for your liver though and play havock with your sugar levels.

I hope some of this has been helpful, it is all just coming out with no thought.