Thread: Is it ok to take antibiotics in the first trimester?

Default Is it ok to take antibiotics in the first trimester?

Hi,
    I am 7 and a half weeks pregnant and have a bad case of tonsilitis. I have been gargling salt water trying to make it go away but this morning when I woke up it was worse and I had a temperature over 38. So off I went to the doctor. He said it is ok to take AMOXIL. So I reluctantly took my first capsule this afternoon. I am really worried about taking them but the doctor said because it is so bad it won't go away without them. Has anyone had similiar thing happen to them and taken AMOXIL?

I got bronchitis at 10 weeks and was on amoxil first, then cephalexin & wound up on antibiotics for 6 weeks. I had a really hard time recovering but the antibiotics were fine, just took longer to recover. I was reassured by one of BB's LTTTC girls who said that often antibiotics are perscribed for IVF patients in early pregnancy. HTH! Maybe someone else has more info for you.

Hi there,

The doctor knows you are pregnant so they won't prescribe anything that could hurt the baby. Infections need antibiotics, particularly tonsillitis which could end up being worse for you and your baby if it goes untreated. You don't want to be running a high temp if you are pg.

Hope you feel better soon.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yes I agree your doctor wouldn't prescribe something that would be harmful to your baby. So you can relax and take it easy. I hope you get better soon.

I also had to take amoxil for tonsilitis this pg. I didn't trust the GP and pharmasist so I also rang my ob before taking them (I really trust her!). She said absolutely no problem with taking them, so just relax and get well. Hope you feel better soon,
    Melanie.

If a doctor prescribes them, trust them. They wouldn't prescribe something which could damage your baby - people would be sueing all the time and winning if this was the case!

I was prescribed Amoxil also during this pregnancy and was told its totally fine to take during pregnancy. Theres a Type A (i think thats what they call it) antibiotics which is fine for pregnancy and that is one of them.

Snook Guest

Should be ok if that's what you're doctor prescribed for you...maybe double check with your doctor if you're still worried tho.

Yes - amoxil is definitely ok. I also got tonsillitis last week and went on amoxil. It's a Category A drug which essentialy means has been used in large numbers of pregnant women and has not been found to cause any increase in problems with the baby. I also double checked with with my GP and the Pharmacist.

Thanks for all your replies. I feel much better now and after a day of rest and starting the Amoxil yesterday I am feeling better already. Thanks heaps.

I ended up with tonsilitis 4 times in my pregnancy & had to take antibitotics every time. Hope they help & you're better in no time.

Tell your pharmatist and doctor that you are pregnant and there are antibiotics that you can take without it affecting your growing bub.