Thread: Old Wive's Tales

Default Old Wive's Tales

OK OK we've all heard some what are the ones you have heard, the most recent I have heard is about prediciting baby sex by heart rate, but the person telling me this piece of info could remember what rates = what sex so if someone can clarify that one for me also would be great.

But what have you heard?

I think i've heard just about all of them!

the gender one is the only one I have heard off care to share a few

i do remember something about the heart rates, but cant remember which one is supposed to be which, so i wont even try to guess cause i will probably get it wrong. im sure there was a thread in here about it a few months ago though if you search for it?

Linda

Don't breastfeed a toddler during pregnancy because the new baby needs all the nourishment it can get.

Wearing shoes will help a baby learn to walk sooner.

Both are false though.

They say over 150bpm is a girl. My sister was convinced with her 160 a minute she was having a girl, but ultrasound the other day said boy!! So that one is wrong! xo

I'd say it is just luck too but my DD's HB was always 168bpm and shes a girl.

Matilda's changed throughout PG and at one time if we went by the HR theory we would have a boy LOL, maybe she was asleep...

There's all the labour ones too.... castor oil.... [-X

crockerclan Guest

Another wives tale is if you suffer a lot from heartburn you are likely to get a baby with a head of hair. This has come true for all of my kids as I have had a lot of heartburn, but with this pregnancy I have hardly any heartburn so we see if this baby has hair.

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and baby girl due in November

I had no heartburn and Yasin had lovely hair. My friend had terrible heartburn and her daughter was a little baldy.

If you eat lentils your baby will be hairy.
    If you excercise to much it will put a knot in the umbilical cord.

I have heard (but am very skeptical of):

- different sex positions favour conception of boy/girl (wasn't sure if is too rude to mention specifics here!)

- Carrying the baby high means its a girl; low a boy.

- craving sweet foods means your having a girl; salty/savoury cravings mean a boy

- having an unused pram waiting in the house before baby is born brings bad luck

- babies are born to reincarnate an elderly person in the extended family who most recently passed on

Loving these, keep 'em coming.

kerry Guest

You are carrying the extra weight out front it is a boy, to the back a girl.

If the hair on your legs is not growing any faster during your preganacy, it's a girl. If it grows faster it’s a boy.

If you carry low it’s a boy, high it’s a girl.

Sleeping in a bed with your pillow to the south indicates that you will be having a girl. North = Boy.

Your feet are not colder than they were before pregnancy. You are having a girl.

You prefer the heel/crust of a loaf of bread. You are having a boy.

Dad-to-be is gaining weight right along with Mom-to-be, which means that you'll have a boy.

The maternal grandmother has gray hair, so a boy will be born. If the maternal grandmother has dyed or naturally coloured hair it will be a girl.

You had morning sickness early in pregnancy, so you are expecting a girl.

You are looking particularly good during pregnancy. Therefore, it must be a boy, because girls steal their mother's looks.

Your chest development has not been very dramatic during pregnancy. You should expect a boy.

If the sum of the mother's age at conception and the number of the month of conception is add to an odd number it will be a girl, if it adds to an even number it is a boy.

A needle on a thread held over your belly moves in circles, so you will have a boy. If it moves from side to side it will be a girl.

Your urine is a dull yellow color, so you will have a girl. Bright yellow is a boy.

Your nose hasn't changed during pregnancy, which indicates a girl. If it has spread (or gotten wider) it indicates a boy.

You have been craving fruits, so it is a girl. If you are craving meat and cheese it’s a boy.

Your baby's heart rate is 140 or more beats per minute, so it's a girl.

You have no desire for orange juice, so it's a boy. You have to have orange juice, it’s a girl.

You are having headaches, so it's a boy.

Your belly looks like a watermelon, so it's a girl. If it looks like a basketball it’s a girl.

If some asks you to show them your hands and you show them them the palm of your hand, it's a girl. If you show them the backs of your hands then it’s a boy.

If you pick up a cup from the handle it’s a boy. You use the body of the mug, so it's a girl.

And my favourite….. If you hang out the washing while pregnant the cord will wrap around the babies neck… no more washing duties for me…. But definitely NOT TRUE!

LOL. I think as I read that long list I was saying... oh! I'm having a girl! ... oh! I'm having a boy!... oh! I'm having a girl!

I guess if there's enuf wives tales out there one of em is bound to fit!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana_baby
    LOL. I think as I read that long list I was saying... oh! I'm having a girl! ... oh! I'm having a boy!... oh! I'm having a girl!

I guess if there's enuf wives tales out there one of em is bound to fit!
    I did the same thing. Some that fit me means I am having a boy, others mean I am having a girl. DH and I are convinced its a girl. I guess we will know in 8 months time.