thread: OMG The hospital wont take me

Apr 2008

that is utterly ridiculous - many people dont even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks! and yet you have to be booked into a hospital... at 6 weeks you havent even had a hance to look into your birth choices!!

what a joke! Other Sydney hospitals dont want to know you till you are 20 weeks. (such as RPA)

now that you have seen how you will be treated in hossy you might want to look into having your baby at home
    :yeahthat: Exactly that!!! I would go back and speak to someone else. Is it a public hospital? If it is and you are in there area they have to accept you.

SOunds like someone has spun you some BS there hun. You poor thing. Last thing you need.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add Schmickers on Facebook

Jan 2006
    Port Macquarie, NSW

I'm pretty sure Hawkesbury is a private hospital, but it's been a long time since I worked there. I think you're better off at Nepean anyway. I did quite a few shifts in their children's ward some time ago, and it was quite a good ward.

Dec 2005

Hawkesbury is a private catholic hospital that takes public patients.

I live less than three minutes away, but chose to deliver at Nepean (private). It seems to be one of those hospitals that you either love or hate, and I've heard too many "hate" experiences from others.

How long would the drive to Nepean be?

BW

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

oh, thats good then.
    I have heard a lot of positive things about nepean. Im so scared to go there tomorrow and get turned down, like hawkesbury did.

I just hope they are a little more accomodating for me.

As i really want to go throught the hospital midwifes from now on, and get rid of this dodgy doctor i am seeing at the moment.

Does anyone know what kind of maternity services they offer at nepean.??
    Is it just the usual maternity ward, or do they have more services, like a birthing centres? etc

Not sure on where or what site i might be able to read more about nepeans' services

Aug 2006

Hey hun, if you book in at Nepean you will go through the midwifery clinic for your antenatal care. That is, you will (mostly) see the same antenatal midwife throughout your prg. Nepean has a birthing centre but unfortunately it's been closed for many years due to lack of funding and staff etc - a real bummer because that would have been my first choice every time.

You will deliver in the delivery suite, be cared for by whatever midwives happen to be on that shift and then you'll transfer upstairs to the postnatal ward. The delivery suites are fantastic, they have huge corner baths where I've wallowed through both of my labours so far! LOL. Unfortunately no water birth for me due to slight complications but it is possible depending on the experience of the midwife who happens to care for you (if you're interested in that sort of thing).

My last prg I went in as a private patient with my own ob at the delivery, but the midwifery care I received during labour and on the postnatal ward was fantastic, as it was with my first birth when I went in as a public patient through the midwifery clinic.

You won't have any problems booking in at 12 weeks - however, be prepared because they are very, very busy and you may have a wait before your first appt. This isn't a big deal, but it might mean you have to see your Dr for shared care for a bit longer.

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

Oh thank goodness.
    I have gone to my doc today, got a referal for nepean hospital, and ive been booked in to have an interview with admissions on 2nd june, after that i can see midwife for checkups, and have ultrasounds done through the hospital.

So glad, but couldnt believe the earliest appointment was 2nd june...wow....!!
    so by the time i go in for my interview i will be 18 weeks and need my 18-20 week ultrasound

but still, im into nepean !!!! I HOPE, but all seems good so far :fingerscrossed:

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

How long would the drive to Nepean be?

BW
    Its only about 20-25 mins drive away, not too bad i guess, Im willing to have a little longer drive, if it means having much nicer staff....

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

.... The delivery suites are fantastic, they have huge corner baths

......however, be prepared because they are very, very busy and you may have a wait before your first appt. This isn't a big deal, but it might mean you have to see your Dr for shared care for a bit longer.
    OMG willow, you know the exact story, youve obviously had many experience in nepean hospital

I have been told the earliest appointment is june 2nd, which is ok i guess, but i was suprised on the lengthy wait..

also, you mentioned the delivery suites have corner baths etc...is this definately in nepean public??? Or just nepean private
    Thats awsome if it is nepean public!!!!

Dec 2005

Definitely the public. The baths in the private delivery suite were kinda squidgy. Not that I was allowed to go anywhere near them having a very fast, premature labour.

Glad to hear you got in to Nepean. It was around a 20 minute drive for us (we're in Windsor) and even with contractions every 4-5 minutes it was ok.

BW

Jul 2007

Yes, the midwife clinic at Hawkesbury Hospital is very popular, but booking in at 6 weeks is utterly ridiculous. I've heard only good things about them though. They also have cutoffs for all sorts of things, including being overweight. Nepean seems to be a much more accepting hospital.

I hopefully won't be setting foot inside a hospital, as I'm planning a homebirth!

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

I hopefully won't be setting foot inside a hospital, as I'm planning a homebirth!
    ohh, all the best, thats great...
    I was considering it, but being my first, i felt the hospital might be a better way to go.

all the best xxx

Jul 2007

It's my first bub too!

Add helle on Facebook

Sep 2008
    Bunbury, Western Australia

gosh that's not right! 6 weeks!?
    My Dr, who is a baby Dr wasn't doing any hospital stuff with me til 20 weeks.
    I'd complain about that, that's just insane!