Thread: Pain in Ovaries?

em79 Guest

Default Pain in Ovaries?

im only just pregnant, about 4 weeks... (although i am confused about how many weeks i am, is it from your last period, or from conception??)

i have had some cramping etc, which i am told is normal, it has mainly subsided, except i have this twinging dull ache in where i guess my ovaries are... it is on both sides, and is constant throughout the day... its just a twinge like pain that is more annoying than painful really, but i just wondered if it could be a sign of something wrong, or infection or cysts or something...?

does anyone else have pain like this?

also on saturday night i woke up with such severe cramping, i thought i must have been going to have a miscarriage or something, but there were no other symptoms... just intense period pain like cramps that lasted about 20 minutes, then subsided... the pain was bad enough to make me almost consider calling an ambulance... since then no pain except the ovary like pain... im probably just being paranoid?

the ovary pain could be the corpus luteam kicking in with the P4/progesterone to support the pg. Cramp like period cramps can be normal. Take it easy, bed rest and consult medical help if you are concern. Fingers crossed

em79 Guest

thanks for your advice... im sorry but what is corpus luteam....?
    first pregnancy - can u tell?!!!

does anyone have a link to some info...

thanks again and sorry for my newness to the whole thing...

:-)

Em
    Magic's spot on.
    I had this a few weeks ago and am still having the odd ovarian twinge. Your baby is dependent on your ovaries at the moment and will be for awhile yet until the placenta grows and takes over properly at about 10 weeks. If you have an ultrasound at 6-7weeks ask them to show you your ovaries. I could see my corpus luteum on my left ovary really clearly. It looked like a great big crater. When I saw it - I thought - no bloody wonder I can feel that ovary!

The other cramping you get is in the uterus as it starts to stretch to accomodate your baby.

ETA - the corpus luteum in the remains of the follicle of the egg that got fertilized. If you think of the egg in its follicle - when it bursts it leaves a tempoary crater on the ovary. If the egg fertilizes there is a feedback loop in the hormones which somehow tell the ovary to keep all the AF inducing hormones stopped and to start producing all the preganancy hormones instead. If the egg isn't fertilised the ovary heals quickly and the normal menstrual hormones kick in instead. Look it up in wikipedia - there's a good explanation and diagram there. HTH.

PS - if you are regular you count the weeks from your last menstrual period. If your cycle is irregular you usually add two weeks to your ovulation day.

I got nasty cramping and dull aches as well. I was told it was just normal. The cramps werent so bad that I wanted to call an ambulance, but I did have to curl up in a ball on the floor.