Thread: pap smear

julesy Guest

Default pap smear

Hi all,

Hope the first trimester is going swimmingly for you all! Just a quick question:

When I had my first check up with the GP at 5 weeks (for blood tests etc) she also did a pap smear which has come back with 'some changes'. I have never had an abnormal pap smear before, and the GP said the changes were minor or "CIN1", and could also be hormonal. Has anyone else ever had an abnormal pap smear during pregnancy that has righted itself without treatment? I don't even know yet if I will need treatment, but can it be done while you are pregnant also???

Was a bit stressed, as thus far it's been OK (with regards to nausea etc).

Any advice???

Julesy

Julesy - Sorry to hear your recent pap smear has come back with some changes. Are you going to an OB throughout your pregnancy? If so he/she would be the best one to advise you on what will happen in regards to these changes. Did the Dr say another pap smear will be repeated down the track or did she just leave it all up in the air?

I had an abnormal pap smear with my very first pap test, I wasn`t pregnant and it also didn`t read CIN1 just abnormal cells detected I was advised to have another one 1 year later which was fine then had another a year after that which was fine again but because I`m a DES baby I should be having them yearly.

Sorry I couldn`t be of any help but hopefully someone can come in and give you some information.

Hugs to you it`s a worrying time.

Take Care

Deeanne

julesy Guest

Thanks for the info Deanne,

The doc did say that another test would be necessary, and that she would refer it onto my Obstetrician to chase up. She also said that it could just be hormonal (which I am hoping...). It's good to hear your cells were back to normal after a year. I did some research on the net and apparently the cells can return to normal of their own accord, so here's hoping!

julesy

My obstetrician didn't like doing pap smears past the first few weeks of pregnancy because the hormonal changes etc can give altered results IYKWIM?

I have to have mine at my 6week post-baby check-up sometime next week.

julesy Guest

Yes, I'm starting to think hormones could be a major contributing factor! What does IYKWIM stand for??

julesy

julesy Guest

Thanks!

julesy