Thread: Pap Smears during pregnancy

Default Pap Smears during pregnancy

Hi everyone,

Wasn't sure where to post this as it didn't really seem to fit exactly into any other category, but figured this was as good a spot as any!

I was just wondering if you think it is safe to have a pap smear done while you are (or possibly are) pregnant? I am due to have one done, I have even made an appointment for Monday (was the earliest available appt), but I think I may O in the next couple of days. I have heard quite a few stories about pap smears causing spotting and bleeding and then the women miscarrying a few days later. Has me a bit worried 8-[ Silly or not I know I would blame myself in that situation.

If I do happen to get pg (fingers crossed!) I would only be 4DPO at the most on Monday, too early for implantation. Do you think it'd be safe to have a pap smear done if it's that early? If I do cancel the appointment then I'd probably have to do it tomorrow, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My OB at the hospital suggested I wait until after PG. I was due a pap smear when I saw him for my 12 week check and he said he could do it and wouldn't hesitate if i wanted him too, but also that it was better for my uterus to wait until 6 weeks after the baby is born.... so I decided to wait. My GP also said she would wait until afterwards just to be safe, also that she wouldn't suggest doing it in the first trimester anyway....

I hope that helps!

Christy

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Angel,

I had mine at my 6 weeks post birth check-up. I would probably feel safest waiting until then too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melinda Guest

Yep, I wouldn't have one done at the time you are talking about just to be on the safe side. If you happen to get AF (here's hoping you don't of course!) I would call to make the appt whilst you have AF (so you get the timing of the appt right) and schedule it for a few days after AF finishes. I definitely wouldn't get it done after O or during PG.

HTH mate!

Thanks everyone! I will go and cancel my appointment.

Tootie, the only problem there is that I tend to spot for ages after AF and my doc said I need to be spot free for at least a week before a pap smear. I am now a week past my last spotting and now on the verge of O!! #-o

Melinda Guest

Bllurrghhh that's a pain in the you know what Angel. Here's hoping you get a this month and don't need to worry about it until post-birth!!

hey,
    well as I was pg in england I think everythings different, but they wouldnt touch me with a 10 ft pole whilst I was pg with josh as to when the pap smear subject came up. I was told I really should have one as Id never had one before, but they didnt want to risk anything so told me to wait.. and then when i was going into labour the midwife said I should of had one done ..in the end i didnt have it done though because they said they dont do them untill after 20 years of age, so I had one a week after my 20th birthday which was 1 year after joshua was born.. and when I whimpered because it hurt like amd the nurse complained at me and said "this shouldnt hurt youve had a baby" !!! I thought that was very rude considering it was a year after id had my baby everything had shrunk back to normal!! grr at england doctors!!

take care
    Lesley

I had one at my six week check-up again. Thank goodness all is okay again too
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I am to have one at my 6 week checkup, but have never had one nor know what it really is...Can someone help me out here please? 8-[

Hi Tegan

They insert a plastic thing that expands inside of your cervix (sorry technical name eludes me atm) and they take a swab from inside your cervix wall, it gets checked for abnormalities that could cause cervical cancer.

It can cause a bit of uncomfort having it done and may cause a bit of bleeding that day as well.

Love

Hi Tegan,

I think it is called a speculum (?) that they use. It looks like a ducks bill sort of which opens up inside of you. Its not supposed to be painful but you may feel discomfort especially if you are still healing from childbirth.
    (I was naughty and never went to my 6 week check up! 8-[ I was just so sick of ppl looking between my legs that I never wanted to spread em again for ages, lmao!)
    No seriously though, once you have been through labour a pap smear should be a breeze (in most cases), and it should all be over and done with in around a minute.

Ah yes after giving birth and having nurmerious strangers looking at my bits i couldn't care less anymore! But thanks for that info. I've acually have that speculam thingy inserted 6 days after giving birth coz of some clotting i had and with having 20 stitches down there it wasnt all that pleasent!

I was due to have one early on in pregnancy as well but they decided to wait until my 6 week checkup.

One sort of different question though... My Dr said at my last appointment, when I go in at 34w Ihave to have a swab done. What's it for?? Is it routine?

I am due to have one after the baby.
    I could not remember when i had the last one.

The swab would be to check from Strep b which is a bactieria that is perfectly normal in something like 70% of women & is harmless BUT if you are positive for this you need to have injections of penicillian (sp?) within 6 hours of giving birth. Apparently while this bacteria is harmless in every day life it can be quite deadly to a new baby who can pick it up as they are born.

When I had mine done I was able to take it home & do it my self & just take it back. Its not the same as a pap smear. Its a long steril cotton bud that you insert like a tampon & swosh it around a bit then remove & place back into the steril container.

Sarah - it's Strep B as mentioned above, some Obs do it and some Ob's don't. The BellyBelly Ob doesn't, I think I posted about this somewhere (will try and dig it up) but basically he doesn't do it because it's still possible to have Strep B after the 34 week swab, so it may be missed anyway, and he monitors his patients carefully in labour for signs. He always gives antibiotics to high risk Strep B patients anyway (e.g. waters broken for some time, prem baby). Dr. Lolatgis says that it tends to go in and out of fashion in the world of Obstetrics, as it can never be guaranteed to detect Strep B when it happens.
    Kelly xx

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Hi Angel

My doc was going to do one at 12 weeks (the safe period) but she couldn't due to excess mucous (sorry if TMI) so will do one post pregnancy.

Bec

Thanks Kelly & Fiona for that. I had never realised before.