Thread: Paranoid!

Default Paranoid!

Hi all..

I found out last week i was pregnant with my first child. Did a home test with my boyfriend which came up positive.. i cryed, he cryed.. was all such a shock.. so we went to the Doctor the next day who confirmed it and sent me for a ultrascan to determine how old it was and to make sure it wasnt an Eptopic Pregnancy as i was on the pill. Ultrascan came through all ok.. except there was no heart beat. They told me and ive read that this is common as i was only 5 weeks and 4 days when they did the scan.

It was all a bit of a shock but my boyfriend and i are very happy.. only thing is im paranoid something will go wrong now that im happy [-o< .. Im trying not to think about it and trying to eat healthy and drink lots of water etc to keep away a m/c but im still a little worried. Does anyone know what type of foods perhaps you should avoid also around this time?

Fraser Guest

That's all you can do sweetie - what will happen will happen.

Just try and remain positive, eat well (if you can eat at all!) and drink heaps of water - just like you're doing.

Follow your doctors advice and try to remain positive - I know exactly what you're going through - as I am sure everyone else here does too.

Chin up

Thanks Fraser. I will try and do that.
    Youre right.. everything happens for a reason i guess.

Im actually pretty lucky atm touch wood.. i havent had much morning sickness at all. Ive had a few spouts of nausia and some cramps but thats it.. my mum never had any sickness with all 3 children so im hoping im just taking after her If anything i cant stop eating!

~Sarah~ Guest

Chin up sweetie....I had an ultrasound at 6 wks 1 day and there was no HB....I think the heart normally gets going sometime in week 6....Theres no reason that any thing should go wrong with your pg so just enjoy it!

Yeh i was a bit worried.. but since everyones saying its normal and the doc didnt seem too worried i guess ill just go with it.

My doc told me to come back in 2 weeks and he'll do a blood test to check everything else out. I said to him they said i may have to go back in 2 weeks to have another scan and he said nah you wont need to do that.. as long as theres no bleeding and youre still running to the toilet and feeling nausious (which im not feeling sick all that much) then theres no need. He said you wont need to have another one until about 11-13 weeks. Is that normal?? Even though we never detected the heartbeat yet? My friend has the same doctor and she said he did that with her also and she didnt see it till about 11 weeks.. she said if there was no heartbeat then your body will reject it and youll miscarriage so i really dont need to worry?

Fraser Guest

Hey there,

I'm not an expert - this is only my first - but I can tell you what happened to me.

My Doctor sent me away at 8 weeks and told me to come back at 10 - my first ultrasound wasn't booked until 12 weeks - which actually turned out to be only 11 weeks.

I don't think there is a lot they can tell at 6 weeks - the baby is still forming and from memory is only a zygote (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't become a foetus until later on and that's when they start checking for heartbeats, limbs, neck thickness all that sort of stuff.

So you just have to sit back try and relax and wait until 11 or 12 weeks.

Keep positive

Cheers, Emily

Oh ok. Thank you. It helps to hear that its the same for others.
    My mum told me, although that was decades ago, that she never went for an ultrasound until about 12 weeks. She said the reason he sent me was that i was on the pill and he wanted to make sure it wasnt an Ectopic Pregnancy. He did mension like you said at 12 weeks they will check the neck and all that. But still it does help to have reassurance from other people who have experienced the same, since ive also heard others have gone back to check the heartbeat. Thanks Emily

~Sarah~ Guest

Hey Kelly....Dont worry sweetie. It's so daunting having your first cause there is so much to learn and you just want to know that what your going through and being told is normal. What your feeling is a perfectly normal reaction to your new situation, but belly belly is a fine place to learn and find reasurance

As for being told to get a follow up scan....When I had one at 6wks and there was no HB yet my report also said for me to come back in 10-14 days to comfirm viability....that must just be standard ultrasound jargon with an early scan. I didnt go back cause I knew all was fine.
    You will have an NT scan and blood test between 11wks 4 days and 13wks 6 days, this is to check for abnormalities such as Downs Syndrome

Ahh ok.. yeh my report said something like another scan maybe required at a later date as no heartbeat was detected possibly due to only being 5 weeks 4 days pregnant.

Thanks Sarah.. this forum is great. I had my first lot of cramps on the weekend.. kinda freaked me out a little.. so i called my sister whos had 3 children and she said she had them with all 3 its due to your uterus stretching and i read the same on here so it put my mind at ease.. Its great to be able to talk to others who have experienced it all before

Sorry, whats an NT Scan?

~Sarah~ Guest

NT stands for Nuchal Translucency. At the scan they will measure the amount of fluid at the back of bubs neck. A measurement under 3.0mm means your not high risk. Mind you being over the recommended measurement at your gestation is not a diognosis of abnormality it just means that further tests will be recommended.

Please try not to worry. As the other girls have said what is meant to be is meant to be. Just try and eat healthy and rest when you need to. On the main site there is a list of foods to avoid while pregnant. You can find them HERE

5 weeks was probably a bit early to see a h/b. Most people if they have an early u/s is done @ around 7 weeks when a h/b can be detected. Maybe if you want to ask to get another scan done when you are around 7 weeks.