Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Paste/Peanut Butter

Default Peanut Paste/Peanut Butter

Can anyone tell me if peanut butter is on the no go list???

I have heard that eating peanuts during pregnancy could increase the chances of your baby having a peanut allergy. Don't know how true that is. It's probably fine if you don't overdo it.

Yep, I think it's okay as long as you don't go overboard with it. I used to have a little on toast once in a while.

However, if there is a family history of allergies then I think it's best to avoid it.

Yep - dont go overboard with it. I think its especially wise to avoid in the last trimester.
    Fi

Hi Jaspen

Any form of peanut product is on the no list during pregnancy and breastfeeding if you, your partner or any of your other children have any form of allergy.
    Otherwise it should be safe in small amounts.

oops... I have been having quite a bit of peanut butter & jam on toast... might just have to have jam from now on

Alan - any form of any allergy or any form of peanut allergy??? Sorry if this seems strange it's just that none of us are allergic to peanuts (although my niece is and she was out of the blue) but I do have some minor allergies (mainly intolerance/sickness after continual consumption over a period)

Hi Jaspen

Any allergy. Not just peanut.

Allergic reactions are a little strange. Usually the first time you come into contact with the thing that causes the reaction (lets just say peanuts but it could be any food or drug or anything else). Normally you do not have a reaction but you do become sensitized. If you cone into contact with it a second time then you have the reaction. These reactions can vary from very mild, runny eyes, sneezing etc, to life threatening.
    Small amounts of the peanut protein can cross the placenta and sensitizing the baby befor birth. If there is any allergy to anything in your family then your baby is at an increased risk of being allergic to peanuts.
    And an allergic reaction to peanuts can often be very serious.

Hope this helps and that I did not ramble on too much.

I asked my OB and he said it was fine to have a small amount although as Alan has said if their is any family history in allergies not to have any form of peanuts.

Although I know a couple of people who had peanut butter, snickers etc... while they were pg and thier baby ended up getting an allergic reation to peanuts and also excema. (and they had no family history of allergies) Their doctor told them that peanuts can cause peanut allergies aswell as excema etc.. Sorry I don't mean to scare or worry anyone who has eaten it. 8-[

#-o I didnt know that! I ate so much peanut butter when I had MS!!! Oops!

Hi Tulip
    I don't know what nuts are in nutella you would need to check the label. If it has any peanut product in it then yes. I think other nuts are OK but not 100% sure so I will check it out.

Hazlenuts in Nutella.
    Deb

Thanks for that Deb
    As you cen tell I don't eat nutella.
    But good news for all you nutella fans >>>>>>
    hazelnuts are OK to eat in pregnancy.

Although nutella has hazelnuts in it, would it be processed on the same machinery as peanuts?
    You know how they also put the warning on many food packagings (ie chocolate) that it has been processed on equipment that processes peanuts... this wouldnt be a worry would it?

Not that I'm concered for myself.... we have no real history of allergies in my family, and I did eat peanut butter during my pg (although I didnt know any better at the time). Next time I think I will be more careful.

Good point Ambah
    I never thought of that #-o

Surely it would be in such trace amounts in those products though that they wouldnt/couldnt possibly be crossing the placenta...?

Also regulations would require them to clean the equipment.
    But not all companies abide by the regulations.

Thanks for all that Alan - and everyone else - you didn't ramble I now understand it a lot more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast