Thread: Playing Music to Baby while in Utero

Default Playing Music to Baby while in Utero

Wondering who plays music to their baby in utero. I have read a number of times that babies love it while in utero and then it`s something familiar for them when they arrive, especially if your having a grizzly time with them - just pop it on and hopefully it will settle them, in theory it sounds good. I brought my first CD today called Baby Vivaldi - soothing classical music for babies.

I`m not into classical music too much myself but for our bubs we do anything, played it to him and he woke up so at least I know he was listening.

Take Care

Deeanne

I used to play some beautiful classical lullaby music when preg with my firstborn...it was nice to have that in contrast to the stress of the job I was in! I played the same CD after he was born and he seemed to be soothed by it. Also, he really seems to enjoy musical rhythms and dancing along.

Thats good to know Berry - I found the classical really soothing when I was playing it today could have easily gone to sleep.

Take Care

Deeanne

katanya Guest

Well I played Felix Baby Lullaby's too in Utero, but it was my smeaky DP that left the bigger impression. When I was asleep at night he'd stick the earpiece of his discman in my belly button filled with music like Rob Zombie and Ramstein and guess what Felix likes????
    DP actually sings him the words to the songs and it stops him crying instantly..not my choice(I was totally unaware actually!) but I think it shows that the music doesn't have to be traditionally soothing to be effective!

That just reminded me; when my baby was just a few months old, he would show favourable reactions when there was music on the radio with high, female voices (eg Kylie), and seemed uncomfortable with deep male vocalists!

I know this makes me out to be a bit lame, but I love Country and Western (DH HATES IT, so I only get to play it in the car!).

Olivia must have heard it all whilst I was pregnant with her, as she is like me and loves it! (We play it now full blast int eh car adn she dances up and down in the car seat!)

If I ever need to calm her down I sing "An Ordinary Heart" by Becky Cole to her and she is happy again!

I never played anything to Lily. But, when my mum was pregnant with my, her fav singer was Bruce Springstein and she used to play that a lot. Well now he's my fav singer too!

ROFL at DP Katanya, that's hilarious! I told Aaron & I think he has ideas of playing Nirvava the same way now - UHOH!

Munchkin seems to kick everytime I play Evanescence or Queen - Evanescence cos I play it alot & Queen cos of the musical we went to when I was 20w pregnant.

I havent' specifically played music for him though. I feel a bit embarrassed about singing along to songs at the moment as well - what happens if he thinks I sound terrible?! I know pretty silly, but that's me!

Hey Sarah, I have heard that bubs LOVE the sound of their mothers voice, whether they sing in tune or not

I used to play a lot of Delerium, and DP used to play the Beatles. And after Aidyn was born we used to rock him to sleep in our arms to the Beatles all the time.

Melinda Guest

I agree Ambah, little babies seem to love the sound of their Mummy's voice, whether they sing in tune or not! I know that Jacob loves it when I sing to him. I quite often have the radio on during the day and find myself singing along to the songs and Jacob laughs and smiles and makes all these weird noises like he's also trying to sing! LOL

When I was PG, I didn't play music to him as such but as I had the radio/stereo on quite a bit, I noticed that there were certain things that he would like when I had them on. I remember that he would bounce around and kick to songs by Pink and there was a Deep Purple phase there as well PMSL!!

Well by all the comments it sounds like they do listen and take notice of what we listen too.

Take Care

Deeanne

katanya Guest

On the voices note, While Felix LOVES my voice and my singing (and I definately don't sing in tune!) when he was born and he was laying on me, the first thing he did when DP spoke was turn his head. It was the coolest thing to see a newborn baby following his fathers voice.

DP has a very deep voice and when ever Felix hears a deep voice he looks, and responses to Men over women, he sat enthralled while his grandma's male neighbour talked the other day(very deep voice) and if a man stands near us talking he turns his head towards them. Not sure if he's looking for his Daddy or he likes deep tones? (I have read different babies have preferences)

*Megan* Guest

I was watching Sex and the City with a bunch of girlfriends last night and everytime the theme of the show came on (I'm sure that you all know it) Finlay would move around!! How funny! Perhaps Sex and the City will soothe him - time will tell!

Megan

LOL at this... I played music to MAtilda, I even played my bass for her sometimes, & DH used to play guitar & sing to her... sometimes we would listen to Beethoven symphonies & Mozart, but often just the music we listen too... and she doesn't mind any sort of music now, but acid jazz really wakes her up... :-k

I used to play savage garden to josh while in utero, among a few others and he always loved it when i played savage garden after he was born.

I have played a wide variety of music to this baby..

dont worry lucy i love country and western too and DH also hates it

Lesley

Well yesterday I tried something different after two days of playing Baby Vivaldi once a day I put on Robbie Williams Greatest Hits CD would you believe I didn`t get the reaction from bubs as I thought I would, since I like his songs I thought my little man would too he did give me a few kicks but nothing like he does when I play Baby Vivaldi to him - there are 2 tunes I like on Baby Vivaldi and I don`t know if it`s a coincidence or not but bubs seems to like them too, perhaps he`s going to be an instrumental boy LOL.

Take Care

Deeanne

I am playing music to bubs as well.. we just have a couple of the baby soother type cd's - great for me chilling out as well.

DH and I prefer music to the telly so the radio or cd player is on all the time so bubs gets a wide varierty that way, I sing my heart out to him as well and I think he likes it! I can't sing either!

Although I was at a friends house the other day and she had Shrek 2 on and bubs was kicking up a storm to the music on that! We have just bought him a couple of the Disney Kids cd's to play to him once he arrives, we'll get Wiggles and Hi-5 as well.

I play Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World by Israel whatshisname to Kynan a lot but strangely enough he seems to get more excited when he hears Thriller by Michael Jackson or 99 Red Balloons LMAO. :-s