Thread: please help,so scared,no fetal pole!

Default please help,so scared,no fetal pole!

Hi,i had my first scan today because my doctor was unsure how far i was along as i have long cycles and i was told the sac was about 5 weeks but all the scan showed was the gestational sac and the yolk sac but he couldnt find the fetal pole,he said i have a retroverted uterus so this could be one reason and also that its no uncommon early in pregnancy scans to not show a fetal pole as its too small too early,i just cant help worrying its a blighted ovum or something,has anyone else had this?Im beginning to wish i hadnt had the scan then i wouldnt worry!

Hi 1pj
    Check out this link it explains that you should have nothing to worry about as it is too early.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_pole

I had my first scan at 5wk 3 days - ob pointed out the yolk sac but there was no mention of a fetal pole. He said everything looked perfect for that stage of my pregnancy. I then had a second scan at 7wk 3 days and saw heartbeat etc. Don't panic - it is very very early and as my ob said - 'at this stage bub is just a little more than a twinkle in your eye'. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be seeing that little heartbeat very soon.

On another note - my first pg was a blighted ovum and the sac was just totally empty on the u/s screen.

Exactly why I dont like those early scans. Sometimes its just too early! Please please please dont worry and just relax and enjoy your pregnancy. Its very normal to not be able to see everything at this stage.

Jo

Please dont worry too much, i had some slight bleeding at 5 weeks and 3 days, had an u/s and all they found was the yolk sac, no heartbeat BUT a week later the heartbeat was there and so was the little fetal pole, also unless you know you ovulated on the 14th day (which i know i didnt) the fetus might only be 4 weeks and 4 days like mine instead of what they predicted which was 5 wks 3 days by my periods.
    Hope this makes you feel a little better, if your still worried im sure the doc will send you back in another week or so and everything will be ok. Just try and think positive

Thankyou sooo much ladies,youve really made me feel more at ease,i think i really need to stop worrying and reading about things,hopefully my doc today might give me a bit more reasurance and the next few weeks will be a killer but hopefully will end in happyness!Thanks so much!

its too early.. dont stress

Yup they saw nothing at my 5 week scan... but at 8 weeks totally differrnt.. It will be fine!! Just too early

1pj - how scary for you..... it's very early in your pregnancy by the sounds of things.... and like the girls said, you can't see much if you are only 5wks pregnant.
    Once you are about 6wks3days pregnant onwards you can see more. A HB is usually only detected from about 6wks onwards..... especially after 7wks... that's why i chose to wait til 8wks to have my scan.
    If you can wait 2 more weeks then have another scan you will see more hope all is fine anyway.

Thanks heaps!On my write up sheet it said that all sac etc has no abnormalities so hopefully that sounds good too,and it says go back in 2 weeks but my doc said maybe leave 3 weeks for a better chance of seeing things,what do you think?i cant wait that long for one and another thing is we go away in less than 5 weeks,id like to know and have any other tests done etc before then you know?Would 2 weeks show much difference?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I would wait the 3 weeks if you can hold on that long as you will see so much more and be more reasured!!

I had a miss in my first preg so you can imagine how stressed i was 2nd time round!!!!

When i saw OB at 6 weeks 4 days he did a scan in his rooms and fetal heart was slow and he said may or may not work he got me back in 2 weeks at 8 weeks 4 days and all was fantastic strong heart beat and little bean!!

So hang on and wait as hard as it is I know but so much relief can be felt by waiting that little bit longer.

Fingers crossed for you

xoxo

Yes wait til you are 8weeks that's what i did and i'm so glad i did it was hard waiting 4 weeks for the scan but sooooo worth the wait....

Thanks so much!Its reassuring to know others have been there,i know it can be a worry all the way but to not see anything just had me so worried!I'll hold out the 3 weeks so i can hopefully see more,all going well!

AJC-sorry to hear about the blighted ovum,Can you please tell me about it?If its ok?How many weeks were you?Did you have any other signs omething wasnt right?Did you have a yolk sac too?Did you have to have anything done?Thanks and if its too much i understand!

1pj - I was 6 weeks when it happened (had been overseas for 2 weeks so hadn't even had a BT at that stage). I got up to shower one morning and noticed some dried blood on my knickers. I freaked out and went to see my doc that day. Continued bleeding and it got heavier (like day 1 of af). Went for an u/s the next day and all they could see was this totally empty sac - couldn't see anything inside it, no yolk sac or anything. For that pg I didn't have any symptoms at all.

Good luck - I'm sure everything is going to be fine for you - it was just very early.

AJC-thanks for telling me and sorry it happened to you,im trying not to worry but it does help to know a bit of info on things or other who have been through it.It must of been so sad for you so lots ofs and thanks again for sharing it!