Thread: Pre-natal vitamins for pregnancy

Default Pre-natal vitamins for pregnancy

hi
    just wondering what vitamins people were taking?

Kirsty77 Guest

I normally take blackmores pg and bf multi.

Blackmores!!

Nothing here....

Had my bloods done when we found out about bubs, and we were told that i didnt need to take anything.

Also, i was advised by gp that there was no point in me starting to take folate as apparently its only useful BEFORE getting pregnant. Midwife was also sure that i didnt need to start taking anything.

kirsty Guest

I was taking "Elevit" during my last pg, was recommended to my by my Dr & my OB

I took folate for the first tri, then iron right at the end as my count was low

Blackmores Pregnancy vitimans, there are other brands around I think like Herron.

I took Elevit, but it goes in and out of stock all the time.
    The Blackmores one is equally as good, if not better as it also has fish oils in it.

I take Alexanders Formula Six (from health store). OB looked over them and was very happy with levels of all things in it. Folate, B vits, iron and vit C. Plus everything else in there.

I had been taking them nearly a year before falling pg, and right thru the first tri. I've been a bit slack lately. It's 3 tablets a day! hehehe.

My understanding is folate is important to take 3-4 months before conceiving (if planned of course!) and then through the first 12 weeks. I'm glad I persevered with the vitamins thru the first tri as I wasn't eating healthily at all, so I didn't feel so guilty.

OB said I don't really need multi's anymore if I'm eating a healthy western diet, but would like me to keep up my iron & vit C. I really should just keep taking the vitamins coz I'm not the best at eating healthy.

I'm taking swisse women's ultivite. They seem to be pretty good and they have the right amount of folate

I am also taking an iron supplement on top of that because of the blood test results I got that said my iron was already way below the minimum :evil:

Wilson Guest

I took Elevit for the first couple of months before concieveing and a couple after then i stopped with m/s
    Haven't bothered starting again...

Cee_Cee99 Guest

I go to a Fertility Managment Centre and they have me on their own brand of:

Mulit Vitamin
    Mulit Mineral
    Vitamin C
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Detox tablet
    Iron
    Zinc
    EFA (4 per day, eg: fish oil, evening primrose etc.)
    Oh, and a thing called 'glucoblanace' to help with sugar imbalances... oh oh and yesterday I got some "Vomplex" to help with m/s (not a vitamin, but very good!)