Thread: Preggy Yoga

Default Preggy Yoga

I know a lot of women take yoga in preparation for childbirth.

Does anyone know of any good places near Bentleigh in Melbourne? and when should I start? Is there a particular style of yoga that is best for mothers to be?

I know from reading Up the Duff and other pregnancy materials, that if you haven't done yoga in the past, pregnancy generally isn't the best time to start. Though it is totally up to you

My hospital runs yoga classes for pregnancy. When I went in for my booking in appointment, they gave me a sheet with all the Birth & labour etc classes on it and they also had Yoga and aquafitness as an option. maybe something you could check out with your hospital?

That's a good idea. When did you have your booking in appointment? I am 6 wks so I guess that should be soon no doubt?

I had my booking in appointment when I was about 9 or 10 weeks. They gave me a big folder full of info and recommended I attend some of the classes. I'm not a big excerciser, so I though yoga would help me as I'm not as fit as I could be so I just wanted something not too stressful on the body and something to help me relax. I had m/s something shocking so needed the relaxation.

I have also noticed some of the yoga centres around sydney have pregnancy yoga classes, but the ones I have seen look to all be at say 10am on a weekday so not particularly useful if you work. A friend of mine also attended a beginners yoga class and told them she was pregnant and they modified some of the poses for her.

In the pregnancy yoga class I go to, its a bit different to general yoga. Its very very gentle and we get nice thick mattresses, bean bags and pilllows. We do lots of pelvic floor exercises too and stuff to "open" the hips, poses to do to relieve cramps and sore back and other useful things like that.

anyway, good luck finding a nice yoga class in your area.

I got a good DVD of pregnancy yoga which i did up until I broke my foot at 28 weeks. It had a book and DVD with it and was very good.

Percy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeajan View Post
    I know from reading Up the Duff and other pregnancy materials, that if you haven't done yoga in the past, pregnancy generally isn't the best time to start. Though it is totally up to you
    I think thats a load of crock myself! I've done yog since week 11 and hadn't done it before - I love it! Its been such a god send to me. I really do attribute it to not having a bad back or any real aches and pains throughout my pregnancy so far (touch wood!!) Then again I think Up the Duff is one of the worst books for pregnancy I have come across so I may be a tad biased!

In the pregnancy yoga class I go to, its a bit different to general yoga. Its very very gentle and we get nice thick mattresses, bean bags and pilllows. We do lots of pelvic floor exercises too and stuff to "open" the hips, poses to do to relieve cramps and sore back and other useful things like that.
    This is very similar to my yoga class. Its a lot of relaxing and being in tune with your body. Also a lot of exercises to build yourself up for labour - both breathing and physical ones.

I cannot rave about pre-natal yoga enough! If you can't find a class you can buy DVD's on line - I have Shiva Rea's one to do mid week between classes and its very good.