Thread: pregnancy symptoms - am I normal?

Default pregnancy symptoms - am I normal?

Hey there,

I am 7 weeks pregnant (due 1 Dec 07)and feeling pretty good (esp after 9 months of trying). Sometimes I worry that I don't feel very pregnant. A couple of days before I found out I was pregnant at 4 weeks my sleep went haywire and I was waking up at about 3 or 4 in the morning. I didn't need to get up to go to the toilet, I was just awake. Now I'm waking up early and definitely need to wee. My bosoms seem to be on a mission to take over the world as they seem to be increasing in size. The are also definitely veiney looking as well.

I have read so much about early pregnancy and about how you'll be exhaused and sleep for 12 hours a night - I can hardly manage to get 6 or 7 hours sleep! I'm always waking my husband up and he can't sleep either! Even though I don't sleep much I don't feel especially tired. I had all these preconceived notions of having my head stuck in a toilet bowl and being exhausted. I suppose my question is - am I normal? Does anyone else feel pretty good at this stage of pregnancy?

My GP has referred me to an obstetrician and I recieved the fee schedule in the mail yesterday. It seems that the obstetrician doesn't do a 12 week scan, but one at 19 weeks. Has anybody else heard of this? I thought that everybody got a 12 week scan especially as it was used to assess risk for things like Down Syndrome.

Josijo

I felt so fantastic at 7w pg I didn't even realise I was pg! I think my one consession was a cat-nap for 15 mins if I'd been running around a lot at work, but I needed that normally. Oh, and walking 2 miles uphill to work got me a little out of breath. That was it. I loved pregnancy LOL.

goldilocks Guest

Congrats on your pregnancy, sweetie!

Every pregnancy is different, you can't compare your symptoms to everyone elses. However, we do have some similarities! I have not had a good nights sleep since falling pregnant...I wake up at least 5 times every night, whether I need to pee or not! My boobs are also plotting to take over the world...maybe ours are in it together LOL

You can have a scan done at around 12 weeks called a nuchal translucency scan. Combined with a blood test, it will give you a risk for your baby's chance of having Downs or other chromosonal abnormalities. It's not done by your OB...ask your GP for a referral - he should be able to give you a list of places that will do it.

I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes just as smoothly!

Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-

Congrats on your pregnancy. The symptoms you are experiencing are very similar to mine too. When I was about 5 weeks pregnant, I could only sleep for 4-5 hours with frequent wakings. Then of course, the frequent urge to wee came. My bbs were sore since week 5.

As for your U/S, it's normal for your OB to order one at week 19 instead of week 12 since there's really no need to get one this early unless you have some complications. At week 19, the Ob prefers to do an ultrasound to make sure that the gestational age is appropriate as your estimate date of delivery is depended on guessing the date of your last menstrual period. So, with the ultrasound at week 19, it will definitely give an accurate idea of your actual gestation week when they compare the size of your bub. Also, at week 19, you are more likely to be able to tell your bub's sex whereas at week 12, it's hard depending on the baby's position.

Wish you all the best in your pregnancy!

Hi! I am also newly pg - 6w2d, and i share your concerns. Other than sore tender bbs, and some pullling feelings and slight cramps in my abdominal area, I feel fine. I dont feel nauseous at all either! I thought this may not be normal, but I think its fine...

Oh, if you are really worried about wether everyhting is fine, you can request an early ultrasound...i did the oter day and went saw my bub! Mind you, it was only a grey blob of cells, but the guy said it looks fine! I had some spotting that mad me think i had a threatened miscarriage, so i rang my gp and she sadi wrote out the form for the us, and i went and picked it up and went off to the hospital! I'm glad i did, cause now i feel heaps better. Stay strong hun!
    I'm in Bris too, and i went to St Andrews for the u/s, they were excellent.

Josijo - My GP told me that I didn't need a scan until 18-20 weeks, because I am a 'low risk' pregnancy. I said that I would still like to have one at 12 weeks, just to reassure me (and so I know it's okay to start telling people about the pregnancy!!). She is happy to write me a referral for an earlier scan (more for my peace of mind than because it's medically essential!)

Well I ended up having a scan today.......

I woke up this morning not feeling like going to work and didn't end up going as I had some spotting. My husband and I went straight up to Emergency at the Mater and I had a vaginal ultrasound. It wasn't quite the day off that I'd imagined....

Baby was dated at about 6 weeks (rather than just over 7 weeks using the LMP method of dating and the scan certainly explains why I don't feel so 'pregnant' yet as I'm not that far along) and there was a fetal heartbeat. At one stage I thought I could hear the baby's heartbeat until I realised it was the sound of my own heart pounding. It was amazing to see the little grey blob up on screen with its' heart pounding. The sonographer made a comment that the fetal heartbeat was a little slow at 108bpm but the doctor didn't comment on it at all and said everything was fine. There wasn't really any explanation for the bleeding, it just sounds like one of those things that happens.

My story sounds exactly the same as yours Kristabelle - the timing of the pregnancies, not so many symptoms and the spotting. Thanks so much for replying to me. Thanks everybody for replying. We haven't told anybody about the pregnancy yet so being able to hear about other people's experiences is very reassuring.

josijo, I had spotting at about week 7 too. I rushed to the emergency with my DH and they found that the bleeding was cause by my baby's sac lying on some small blood vessels. Apparently, it is a common pregnancy symptom as the baby takes up more space in our body. Right now, I am 11 weeks 3 days and I feel great. So, don't worry about the spotting and I am sure you will have a healthy pregnancy! HUGS