Thread: Prescription and Over the counter Medications

Default Prescription and Over the counter Medications

I found out tonight that Polaromine (along with other drowsy anti histamines) is safe during pregnancy as it is a Cat. A drug :roll: wish I'd have known that a few days ago when suffering from sinusitis. My pharmacist told me that the drowsy anti histamines are safe but the non drowsy aren't because they have only been on the market for a short while and haven't been completely tested. Anyway just wanted to share with you the category grading given to drugs during pregnancy, I found this on a govt. website.

Category A
    Drugs which have been taken by a large number of pregnant women and women of childbearing age without any proven increase in the frequency of malformations or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the fetus having been observed.

Category C
    Drugs which, owing to their pharmacological effects, have caused or may be suspected of causing, harmful effects on the human fetus or neonate without causing malformations. These effects may be reversible. Accompanying texts should be consulted for further details.

Category B1
    Drugs which have been taken by only a limited number of pregnant women and women of childbearing age, without an increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the human fetus having been observed.

Studies in animals have not shown evidence of an increased occurrence of fetal damage.

Category B2
    Drugs which have been taken by only a limited number of pregnant women and women of childbearing age, without an increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the human fetus having been observed.

Studies in animals are inadequate or may be lacking, but available data show no evidence of an increased occurrence of fetal damage.

Category B3

Studies in animals have shown evidence of an increased occurrence of fetal damage, the significance of which is considered uncertain in humans.

Category D
    Drugs which have caused, are suspected to have caused or may be expected to cause, an increased incidence of human fetal malformations or irreversible damage. These drugs may also have adverse pharmacological effects. Accompanying texts should be consulted for further details.

Category X
    Drugs which have such a high risk of causing permanent damage to the fetus that they should not be used in pregnancy or when there is a possibility of pregnancy.

Note: For drugs in the B1, B2 and B3 categories, human data are lacking or inadequate and subcategorisation is therefore based on available animal data. The allocation of a B category does NOT imply greater safety than the C category. Drugs in category D are not absolutely contraindicated in pregnancy (e.g. anticonvulsants). Moreover, in some cases the ‘D’ category has been assigned on the basis of ‘suspicion’.

Due to legal considerations in this country, sponsor companies have, in some cases, applied a more restrictive category than can be justified on the basis of the available data.

In some cases there may be discrepancies between the published Product Information and the information in this booklet due to the process of ongoing document revision.
    *hugs*
    Cailin

Excellent. Thanks for that Cailin. My headaches have been giving me grief, but I think my Fess nasal spray and panadol now and then are keeping it at bay. I'll keep that in mind tho if it gets any worse. Did you just ask at the chemist? or did your dr say it was ok?

Custardtart Guest

They're ok during pregnancy, but I think you run other risks if you are suffering hypertension, so if you have any blood pressure issues you'd still best check with the doctor or pharmacist.
    Between being pregnant and having high blood pressure, everything was off the market for me!

Kerrie

Hi

Both my PIL are pharmacists, and so i get them to check out everything that i need to take.. They often call the drug manafacture for me to find out exactly what is in things, after looking it up in their drug reference manaual. It is better to speak directly to your pharmacist (as oppossed to your dr) about drug and drug interactions, as that is their specialty, and they often tell me that they have cases of the dr pescribing stuff which would have terribel interactions. But basically everything should be check off against the above guide that Cailin put up.

The Metformin I took for the first 12 weeks is Cat C. Mum wasn't happy about it, but I trusted my OB.

I think cortisteroid nasal sprays for hayfever are Cat C too.

I know the nasal spray I take for hayfever is steroid based but my OB gave me the all clear as long as that is all I take (and only 1 spray per day).

Very handy information too Cailin.