Thread: Question About Getting a Dating Scan

Default Question About Getting a Dating Scan

Hi Ladies

I would love to have a dating scan, and would like to know if anyone can tell me the best time for this?

Also, must I get a referral from my GP or can I just ring and book with the Ultrasound place?

Also with these dating scans, I have to pay for it, dont I? (ie, its not covered under Medicare, is it?) Its not important whether or not I have to pay for is, but just wondering.

Thanks

Karina,

I would get a referral from your GP......I am pretty sure you'll need one.

Then you can ring and get an appt with the ultrasound place.

Yep, you usually have to pay upfront, but you may get a bit back from Medicare.

In terms of timing, I had a dating scan when I was only just 4 weeks pg with my current pregnancy (not planned, so I had no idea "how much" pregnant I was, but they still confirmed the pregnancy and gave me an EDD based on this, so if you think you are around 5 weeks, similarly, you should be right to have a dating scan now. But be prepared not to see much.....only a wee speck!

hi karina,

lucy is right with the things she said, i would just add that some gp's dont let you get a scan early, only if your "high risk", most gp's like tthe first one at 12 weeks, thats the best time for a dating scan.

i had one early with this pregnancy around 5-6 weeks, then at 12 weeks, then at 20 weeks, as we were not sure of my dates, all the ultrasounds have come back different due dates, but they have taken the 12 week date.

thanks Lucy and Chrissy. No bother if its just a little speck, I just want to make sure that its growing. It will put my mind at ease to know that baby is growing.

I might try to hold out for a couple weeks. I need to get a referal anyway for my first midwives appointment so I think I'll ask my doc about it when I go get the referal for that.

If I wait a little while longer is it more accurate, or does it not really make a difference?
    Maybe I should go at around 9 weeks?

If you wait till around 8 weeks you should get a more accurate date than if you went at 6weeks.

I've had two scans so far with this pregnancy and had my dates changed twice already.
    You will have to pay and you will get some back from medicare.

Awesome, Thanks. I think I'll wait another couple of weeks before getting the scan.

Sal Guest

Michelle and Emma, actually the earlier the dating scan the more accurate the dating of the pg.

Re Medicare rebating, well if the GP orders the scan for 'dating' purposes then you will get a Medicare rebate back. If the GP just puts 'pg scan' but no reason then you won't - that is what I was told when I got my dating scan.

jbie Guest

just to add that you get $50 back from medicare.. the places i've called charge $140 for the US which you pay for up front.. so you're $90 oop, but that goes toward your safety net i think

hey,
    How comes you ahve to pay up front for U/s, at my u/s place is is all bulk billed to medicare!

Well, I went for mine, and it said i was 6weeks 1 day (=- 2 days) but it was a really blurry look, and the measurement was done roughly, so the doctor has stuck to the original dates we have from FF. I saw a 3mm bub, with a hb of 101bpm.
    I was meant to pay $90 for the scan, but as I was referred by the AMS (which is a clinic in town mainly for the aboriginal community, but also serves 20-30% of white folk, like me. ) so I was bulk billed for it, and dont have to pay for my 12 week scan either So I am not complaining hehe