Thread: questions

Default questions

hi, i saw my gp today who said yes i am pregnant, worked out 5 weeks on the counter then said well take it at 3 for normal??

said no blood tests...

doesnt want to see me til 12 weeks....

i have oncology check up in week and half who wil refer me to an ob

should i be asking for more checks or scans or something?

isnt doing nothign til 12 weeks not right or is this all taken care of by the ob?

im just confused.

she told me to take elevit but nothing about hwat i can and cant eat - i know something about cold meats and prepared salads... but i am so confused and dont know where to look for it...

what do i do?

Congratulations Lisa!

Do you know which Ob you want to see? If so, ring and book in NOW and then get a written referral from you oncologist - you won't see the Ob until about 10 weeks. It is important to book into an Ob as soon as possible as many book out quickly. They will also book you into your hospital when you call them.
    In regards to what you can and can't eat - it is a pain your GP didn't give you something. My Ob sent me a list of do's and don't's as well as information about tests etc. You can go to the victorian government website called betterhealth which has information on it about what you can and can't eat.
    You should avoid soft cheeses, pate's, cold chicken, processed meats (ham, salami etc) unless piping hot, pre-prepared salads (like the ones you get from the deli at the supermarket), if you have eggs the yolk needs to be solid and not runny, you need to avoid soft serve ice cream, avoid left over rice (I avoided it full stop unless I knew it was being prepared specifically for me as it is a high risk food for listeria). I'm sorry, that is all I can recall off the top of my head - I am sure some of the other girls will have more to add. But you can download some info off that site I mentioned.

Congratulations again and a H&H pregnancy to you!

MG

Lisa, it's too bad your GP could not be more helpful to you. It's normal for the pregnant woman to see the Ob at week 10-12 as there's not much they can do before hand beside taking down your weight, blood pressure, and maybe ordering some blood tests such as (hcg, HIV, and etc). Besides that, remember to take your vitamins as it's important for your bub to have the folic acid! Aside from that, there's really no clear cut to what we can or can't eat. OF course, certain foods are at a higher risk for Listeria (soft cheeses such as brie, ricotta, feta), cold meat (unless you buy it from a reputable meat deli as their meat are fresher than ones at the supermarket), and etc. Many people have discussed the topic of diet restriction during pregnancy. One key concept is make sure what you eat is bought/prepared from clean hands/place. Other than that, many GP and OB say there's no real concern because most of the time, food contamination is the thing! For instance, my friend (she's french) when she found out she was pregnant, she decided to make her own pate which is fine (as confirmed by her Ob and GP) since the pate she made was certainly clean! Therefore, just make sure you keep the cleanliness in mind while purchasing food or eating out! In the mean time, just make sure you get lots of rest and drink lots of water to keep you well hydrated! HOpe you have a healthy and happy pregnancy!

Lisa,

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope you have an incredible 9 month journey!

I find it strange that your GP would say take it at 3 for normal - my GP took it from the first day of my last A/F - same as my ob! My GP ordered bloods for HIV, Hep B & C, Rubella, Measles, Blood Sugar Levels, Iron Levels etc for around the 5 week mark. I then had to choose my ob (from the same medical centre - thankfully he came highly reccommended!)and make an appt in 2 weeks time to get my results. From here he booked me in for an U/S at 12 weeks and more bloods for downs syndrome.

Like you, i felt uncomfortable having to wait so long (12 week mark) to see my baby for the first time. This will also be the first time the pregnancy will be confirmed (other than by my 6 (i know!!!) HPT's) and whether or not i'm having multiples. It seems so long to be hanging around in the unknowns!

It's a frightening time to wait - at least we have all the other BB members to help us through!!! Good luck ...

Lisa - congrats on your pregnancy.
    I seen my obs at 9 weeks. You need to see an obs before your 12 week mark, as you need to get a referral from him/her to get your 12week scan (well, i had to have that anyway).
    I didnt have any idea of who was a good obs in Perth, so the way i did it was - i choose my hospital, then, got the hospital to send me out a list of the OB's that practise there. Then, i went thru the list, and crossed out anyone with a foreign name (not for being raciest, but, i had a bad experience in Melbourne earlier in my preg, and the lady that dealt with me, was lovely, but had a very strong accent, and i spent alot of the time just guessing what she was telling me, and i didnt want to go thru my first pregnancy being unsure of what i was being told). Then, i went thru the list, and booked in with the OBS. The first one i rang, couldnt see me, as already had to many due peoples at the same time as me, but, the next one was available. So then, i went back to my GP, and got a referral.
    YOu need referrals in order to get in, and to get the rebate from medicare.

Its a pain, and not good practise, that your GP was so blarzay about the whole thing. Mine sent me straight off for blood tests etc, and was really good and helpful.

Foods to avoid:
    Certain Seafoods - esp i think shell fish, and things like shark etc.
    Soft Cheeses - brie, camberbert
    Soft Serve ice cream - I also avoid things like frozen coke, or OJ etc that is in the machines. Also, milk and yoghurt type stuff that comes out of machines as opposed to fresh out of a carton. If you want a milk shake when you are out, go to small coffee shops where they use fresh stuff, not machine stuff. Muffin break are a good one.
    Eggs - no runny eggs, unless the egg is organic. Remember raw cake and biscuit batter.
    Cold Meats.
    Any Deli salads etc
    Left overs - some peoples say, eat leftovers within 12 hours. I wil have for lunch the next day left overs from the night before, but, no longer then that. Make sure you re heat everything properly. Dont, eat leftovers cold. And put left over food immediatly into the fridge.
    Defrost food in the fridge not on the bench. Or microwave defrost before cooking.
    I avoid any sorta pork - bacon, ham everything like that.
    If you go to good food from a deli - ask them when it was prepared. Golden rule - if the deli (or other from of food place) looks dirty and unhygenic, then chances are, their food is as well.
    If you go to a bakery, i always choose the ones that i know bake on site - again, Brumbys, muffin break, etc. Most big bakeries in shopping centres bake on site. I avoid getting food from places that are tiny, and just have a few hot pies or something in a warmer...like petrol stations, and again, deli's & corner stores.
    Also - i think its liver or kidney - One of them have way to much Vitamin A in it - Vitamin A can cause birth defeats, so check any medication that you are on to make sure it doesnt have Vit A in it. You will get enough from you normal foods.
    Make sure, if not already, you are taking folate, and also iron is good. So, a good pregnancy mulitvitam is essential.

Until you get to see an obs, go to the book shop, and buy a preg book, I have Up the Duff for more humourous reading, and What to Expect when your Expecting, and What to eat when your expecting. The what to eat one is pretty long winded, but, it will give you an overview. Or, go to the library, and have a look at what they have.
    Or, better still - spend an hour on Belly Belly - you will get all info you need, and more.

thanks ladies for all the info -

i appreciate it - i an still debating public vs private as have to switch health fnds so will think about obs then - i have 4 days to decide...

also, have discovered that there is a fotscray private which is close so i dont have to go to the other side of the city i know its where all the good obs are but i dont really like travelling past the city....

are prawns ok to eat? i eat them alot....

thanks again

so long as you know they are fresh. or if you cook them yourself. prawns should be fine. i ate prawns on occassion during my PG too - have to have prawns at Christmas!!!

Congrat's. I stear clear of prawns coz I never know for sure how fresh they are.

I saw my OB at 8wks which I liked, he didn't do much but reassured me I could call him anytime if I wasn't sure about anything.

I haven't seen my GP since I went to confirm I was PG and get my referral. I have high blood pressure which my GP was treating me for prior to pregnancy but now my OB is monitoring that I don't see the point in going back to my GP. I have requested by medical info be passed onto my GP so when I am no longer seeing OB she will know how my BP was during PG.

hmm i have low blood pressure that has to monitored now app...

thanks