Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading to bubs

Default Reading to bubs

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if many people started (or plan to start) reading to their baby whilst they're still pg. And if so what week did/will you start reading?

I've sort of been reading to Kynan for a few weeks now although it's probably been more like reading to myself as I've just been doing it so that I can feel closer to him, but as he can probably hear me now I think I'll start reading to him properly, out loud.

During my pregnancy with Kameron I didn't read out loud, but with Lachlan I did as I was reading Kameron bed time stories every night

Love

We started reading to munchkin at about 28 / 29 weeks. Not every night though, maybe about 3 times a week.

We always tell him we are going to read his book now so he knows. Then we read his book & tell him that the story is finished. He's pretty quiet for the first few pages, but kicks up a storm I think once he recognises the rhythm - it's a Dr Seuss.

Debbie Lee Guest

Little Nobba was spoilt while I was still at school because I was reading aloud to the kids in my class all the time! So, bubs has already been exposed to The Wishing Chair and Roald Dahl's "The Witches" and numerous other stories, hehe.
    Little Nobba should also be very good at counting and telling the time with all the stuff I recited to the kids!
    Still, I finished work at 27 weeks so I should probably get more reading done. When I read my book, Neil is usually asleep so I can't read out loud. I might make an effort to read a couple of pages before I have my Nanna Nap during the day.
    I always talk to bubs when I get kicks.
    I might copy you, Sarah, and read a book to Little Nobba that one of the Mum's from my class gave to me. Peter's Rabbit's book of colours.
    I'm always listening to some kind of music but I am trying to make up a "relaxation" CD to listen to while I am pottering around the house. Then I will play it when bubs is sleeping. That's the plan n e way!

I'm planning on having DH read to bubs soon. I just have to find the right book! I've heard that Dr Suess is great because of the rhythm of the words when spoken.

I've also heard that babies enjoy the sound of male voices and that the lower vocal pitch penetrates the uterine wall better than higher pitched voices (apart from your own which they hear internally I guess).

Bubs is supposed to be able to hear pretty well sometime from now until 25 weeks...

Can anyone recommend a really good book?

I Love Dr Seuss, especially Green Eggs & Ham!

Maddison has alot of the Dr Seuss books as she adores them too!!!!

once we get some childrens books i will probably start reading to her
    anthony talks to her all the time, so he'll probably read too

take care
    Lesley

Juliette, I would definately reccommend Dr Seuss "Oh The Places You'll Go" - Cailin recommended it to me! It's actually written to be read while baby is stil in utero. We love it

Some lines from it
    You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed.
    You'll pass th whole gang and you'll soon take the lead.
    Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best.
    Wherever you go, you'll top all the rest.

layla Guest

Thanks Sarah, I've just added that to my shopping list!

Cool Sarah! I'll definately get that one! DH can read it every night before we go to bed. Hopefully bubs will remember it when she's here and we can keep the routine going for her!

No worries guys It's a great book & that bit is in the middle, it's very much like that the whole way through.

I hadn't heard of it either, but Cailin showed it to me (she had it for Paris) when we went to visit & I just *had* to have it.

Sarah, I thought we had the same book as you but I don't recognise that quote so I guess we've got a different one? The one that we've got is actually called "Oh Baby, the Places You'll Go: A Book to Be Read In Utero". It's made up of lots of different verses from various Dr Seuss books.

Hmmm, maybe mine's a different one :-k Cailin's had a thing inside saying it was for in utero, but mine doesn't... Maybe it's not the same afterall, I don't actually remember too much of the inside of Cailin's either.

Doh! Yep mine is the same as yours angel. Sorry sarah I didn't even realise you had a different one!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Aaaah that's ok. The one we have is good & he loves it which is the main thing!

*Megan* Guest

I will start reading to Finlay - need to find the time and will do it when he is a bit bigger. I do talk to him though - so we have a daily dialogue....hope that doesn't sound weird!

Megan

Doesn't sound weird at all to me, Megan! I talk to Kynan all the time LOL.

You an add me to the weird club as well if it's weird!! I'll talk to munchkin & Aaron will be looking at me wondering what on earth I'm talking about! My response "I wasn't talking to you!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast