Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for a pregnancy multi-vitamin?

Default Recommendation for a pregnancy multi-vitamin?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you mums or mums-to-be can share with me your experience with any pregnancy multi-vitamin - good or bad!

My doctor has told me that I should invest in getting one, however she didn't specify and I always like to hear from experience to make my decision in the end. I only know of two - Elevit and Blackmores.

I'm approx 9 weeks with my 2nd child, so your stories and experiences would be appreciated.

xoxo

I used Blackmores during my pregnancy. only annoying thing I found was that you have to take two a day of the Blackmores multi.

Yep, I love that you only have to take 1 elevit. hehe.

Blackmores for me and i swear by it!

I take Blackmores ATM (& I agree two tabs are in PITA), I also took Pregnol or something like that. My MIL works for a Dr surgery and she got them for me, so not sure if they are prescription or not.

With both of my pregnancies, both doctors and a couple of midwives recommended Elevit.

I have taken Blackmores - I find them great. The thing I don't like about the Elevit is the higher dose of synthetic iron. For me it causes constipation and I don't like the other side effects of synthetic iron... I hope that helps...

I was taking Blackmores to start and then switched to Elevit after my Ob suggested it.

MUCH prefer the Elevit - one tablet, less fishy smell and I have *never* had an Elevit tablet, erm, repeat on me.

That's because the Elevit dont' contain the fish oil which does repeat sometimes!

Doctors recommend Elevit *often*because it is a Roche product and distributed by a drug company - call me a cynic...

Ahhh, I see!

Thank the gods I don't mind tuna and other Omega type things because I just can't hack the tablets LOL

And I dont think you are a cynic, I think you are most probably right :P

I take a preg multi called pregnacare which I got inthe UK so sorry not much help there.. it is a 1 a day which I find better (and I must admit as I geta little more 'scatty' i tend to forget it even once a day sometimes!). One hint that may help, I was getting bad nausea at the beginning and Dr recommended I take pg multi at night not mornings and that helped a lot.

I choose Blackmores because I had heard about the constipation problems with Elevit.

I've been taking Blackmores since about 3 weeks, and before that as well, when we had been TTC earlier, and have not got a bad word to say about it. It provides everything the little star and I need, have never had it repeating on me, and I haven't experienced any side effects. I take two straight after tea each night, and it works for me, haven't managed to forget once yet (though came close a couple of times due to feeling very sick, my m/s comes in the evening at about 6:30 and lasts till I go to bed).

Lisa xx

julesr Guest

I took Blackmores because, when I was pregnant, they had a special pregnancy care pack available which included the Pregnancy and Breastfeeding supplement and a Calcium supplement, plus the Raspberry Leaf for the third trimester. I was fine with it and never had them repeat on me. I still take these 7 months down the track while breastfeeding and will continue to do so because we are not taking precautions because we wouldn't mind if Number Two came along fairly quickly. Twice a day never bothered me, I just take them when I brush my teeth morning and evening.

I won't take Elevit because I cannot STAND that woman doctor on the TV ads that flog them LOL. I don't know why, she just winds me up!

I am taking Blackmores, even though i am not pregnant yet but we'll be TTC soon so want to ensure I have the right vitamins in my system before falling pregnant + incase we fall pregnant earlier than planned I like them and my friend recommended them too me. They seem to be very popular too.... 2 tablets a day doesn't bother me either. Just getting into a routine and once in a routine you are fine.

I think the 2 tablet thing is only really a bother when you've got morning sickness. Sometimes swallowing 1 pill is a job on it's own, let alone 2 when you feel sick.

Blackmores it has less of the iron that can lead to constipation and has the omega 3 oils in it. I don't mind taking a tablet in the morning and a tablet at night its meant to be so your body absorbs more better. That and if you have a really rich food day you can take one as a suppliment and not worry about overdoing the folic acid as I eat a lot of avocados, salads and some seafood and they are in a lot of my cooking, sandwiches etc

I did take Elevit for a while during pregnancy #1 cause I liked the once a day aspect.

Then I found Fabfol Plus, which is a hell of a lot cheaper, is still once a day and is smaller so easier for me to take. I'm pretty sure it has everything that Elevit has..... You can get it at online pharmacy's really cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast