Thread: Retroverted/Tilted uterus

Custardtart Guest

Default Retroverted/Tilted uterus

Has anyone had any experience of this? My obstet commented on it when I was 9 weeks, apparently they often fix themselves within the first trimester but there can be complications if they don't.

Any stories? Good or otherwise?

Kerrie

A friend of mine has a retroverted uterus that didn't fix itself, but she had no problems at all.......her baby girl was born at 39 weeks without any problems at all............

Another girl I know through DH's work has a retroverted uturus and had a couple of early MC's but then went on to concieve and carry twins to 36 weeks and they were born healthy no probs......

sueedge Guest

Hi, I've got a retroverted uterus, and I've had 3 babies with no problems. All conceived in different positions, normal pregnancy issues and birth. I wouldn't worry about it much.

Melinda Guest

I have a retroverted uterus. It just means that it is tilted backwards. Approximately 10% of women have a retroverted uterus (or a retro ute as I call it LOL).

When PG, the uterus will gradually move forward into a 'normal' position. During the first trimester, you will most likely need trans-vaginal scans (internal scans) as it will be hard to see what is going on externally. After this time, it is possible to see everything via external u/s.

If you have a retro ute, you will always have one....it's not something that is rectified during PG or that poses any problems. It doesn't affect your chances of conception or carrying babies (I was told this by my OB).

My ob said similar to Tootie, that its common and no issue re conception or birth.

I have a retroverted uterus and it hasn't caused any problems.

Custardtart Guest

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard the term before and when my Obstet mentioned it I wondered if it might have contributed to the difficulty I experienced in other labors. I guess not!

Kerrie

I too have a retro uterous and have not had any probs with holding or delivering a bub. Yes have had vaginal scans in 1st tri though, but thats it, really, and it has always moved forward in late pg, but goes back after delivery

Custardtart Guest

Thanks for the reassurance, all. I went looking it up on the internet, but you know what the medical sites are like - all they do is list the potential complications! I came away from my search feeling quite concerned and wondered why my obstet hadn't told me more about it - now I know it's nothing to worry about.

Kerrie

*Megan* Guest

Hi there

I have a retroverted uterus and I am 30 weeks pregnant - it actually hasn't been brought up at all. I didn't think that it impacted on pregnancy?

Good luck with your investigations...

Megan

I have also been told that I have a retroverted utereus and that it won't be a problem.

I was told though, that it may take longer to show and get a bump! Grrr. Has anyone experienced this?? I'm dying for a belly!

Thanks,

*Megan* Guest

Kristie - I was told that too and unfortunately didn't really show until about 16 -17 weeks....hopefully you will have a bump quicker then me!

Megan

Melinda Guest

I only had a fairly small bump at 16w.....not something that anybody else would notice except for me & DH really IYKWIM?