Thread: A right to choose??

Default A right to choose??

hello all

I was just curious, when it comes time to have my baby, am I alowed to choose if I want a natural or ceasar birth?? Or is this up to the Ob??

What do you think is a better option? does anyone know the risks involved in natural and ceasar births??

All questions I should probably ask my dr but I haven't had a first appointment yet and I am just wondering.

thanks

Sirenz, it is 100% YOUR CHOICE when it comes to how you want to birth your baby. Granted that there may be issues that arrise that mean you can't have the birth you choose, but all going well there is no reason why you can't have what you want.

I will get Kelly (BellyBelly owner) to pop in here and give you some stats on the two.

ETA - here is an article on the main site about what you should ask your OB - http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...k-obstetrician
    Last edited by Trillian; April 5th, 2007 at 01:11 PM.

Hi,
    Yes you do have a right to chose whether you want natural or ceaser birth. But sometimes the situation could be out of your hands and in the end you may need to have a ceasar. But normally ob/dr/midwife is happy with whatever you choose.

you do have a right to choose - but, as the others have said, there are certainly pros and cons for each option. And, that, sometimes, no matter what you choose, baby can have other ideas that might mean that things happen differently.

Baby chooses lol

I agree with Caro. Having had both, I'd go natural any day of the week.

Caro hun, I didn't realise you'd had bubs..congrats and he shares his birthday with my little man!!!

I agree, it is your choice - but make sure you are informed. I had an elective C/S with my first. I had my reasons & I felt they were adequate. But if I had been influenced differently by my OB I think I would have chosen differently. What I can definitely say now is that after having a C/S, I really, really want a natural birth this time...

becmc Guest

You definately have a choice. Just be aware though that for 'low-risk' women, c/s are actually more dangerous than a natural birth. And 'some' obs are more prone to do c/s's than others. Be aware of medical terms, have your partner or someone else to be your advocate if you are unable, and research birth and different positions you can be in to help your bub etc. For example, I was made to lie on a bed with an external monitor and then bubs heart rate dropped, so off for a c/s. Had I of been more informed, I would have known that lying on my back cuts off the oxygen to the baby so of course the heart rate will drop. A change in position could have helped the situation but the ob was very quick to find the 'quick-fix'.
    Just know your options is all I am trying to say!
    Good Luck with whatever you choose!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Anyone doing something against your will is nuts - it's grounds to sue. They cannot take your temperature, let alone caesar without your consent. But your fears are certainly not to be laughed at - the WHO states that it is probably genuinely needed 10-15% of the time, when hospitals are 30%+ with c/s rates - some double that which is scary.

BellyBelly has heaps of information about pro's and con's - check out the labour forum and I have an FAQ thread, which has links to the most asked questions, this includes info about vaginal birth and caesarean. A study recently came out and found C/S to have double the infant mortality rate than vaginal birth. The risk isn't high, but still double. Also the risk to you is higher, just the other week I heard of a mother arresting on the table while being closed up for a caesar - so the standard risks of surgery/anaesthetic apply. There will be situations where a c/s will be the best outcome for you and baby though, but just not a huge percent of the time. Like I always say to everyone, when faced with a decision where intervention is being suggested, you need to ask yourself, is the intervention worth the risks involved? If your baby's life is at risk, the answer is going to be 'absolutely.' Also there is BRAND:

B - What are the benefits of doing this?
    R - What are the risks of doing this?
    A - Are there any alternatives / can we try something else?
    N - Does it need to be done now?
    D - We'd like a minute to make a decision in private.

Inform yourself, read books from the BellyBelly recommended reading list, they will make you feel much more confident. All the best
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

thanks everyone

I suffer from Anxiety attacks and I am not on my medication because of pregnancy, so I am thinking that c/s may be the way to go for me.