Thread: Scan on Tuesday

Default Scan on Tuesday

Hi everyone,

I am going for my first scan on Tuesday to check that the dates are okay, and the dr wants to make a down syndrome check because I am 38. fingers crossed that it will be okay.

When I rang to make the appointment, I asked the lady if I needed to have a full bladder and she replied that I didn't.

I am a bit confused, other people here say that you do need to have one.

Any advice would be welcome!

Hi, I know what you mean. I think is different machines require different things or different scan people. My scans with my boys the man required me to drink 600mls but when I had Olivia I went to a different place and I didnt have to have a full bladder.

For my 12 week scan I had to drink 500 mls 30 mins before the scan.

the full bladder is meant to push the uterus up so its easier to see the baby. I have had a few scans where my bladder was too full so they made me go empty some boy isn't that fun!!

Good luck how exciting.

They may use the trans-vaginal ultrasound - which is exactly as it sounds. Instead of the one that scans from the outside of the tummy (in which case you do need full bladder) this one is internal (long thin probe type thing) so you don't need to have a full bladder. Trans-vag. one might sound awful but I think it's better than drinking water & holding on. All the best!

I have my NT scan on Saturday and they have told me I need to drink 1.5 litres of water in half an hour and finish drinking it by an hour before my appt. They're dreaming! My 1st two scans I only had to drink 1 litre and I couldn't manage that. This time I'll only be drinking just enough and will let some out if I have to.

I had a trans-vaginal scan when I was 7 weeks pregnant and normal ultrasound at 12 weeks.

Thanks everyone for your responses...

I didn't realise there were different machines or reasons for the need for water etc.

Shoegirl well I guess I am going at a similiar stage to you, so phew I would hate to get there and for them to say no you need a full bladder!

The nurse at my FS clinic told me to empty my bladder before my trans-vaginal scan.

HTH!

I just had my first scan and had to have a full bladder I drank 1/2 a litre of water but had to go to the loo after doing it - I'm going a lot at the moment - and then drank the other half and figured I'd be OK. When I got there she tried to do the test but couldn't do it as my bladder wasn't full enough. She sent me out to reception where I had to wait half an hour by which time I was busting. She then managed to do it. I've never heard of anyone being told not to drink water before an ultrasound so if I were you I'd ring and check that the info was correct. You don't have to have a full bladder with the internal ultrasound.

i was told to drink a litre but i only had a pump bottle and i was nearly peeing myself the whole time she did the ultrasound and she wasnt even pushin that hard. she had to do one spot pretty hard and many my face must of looked pretty funny cause she had a little giggle.

Thanks everyone, although the way I am feeling I keep busting anyway so it probably wouldn't take long to get a full bladder!

Good luck with your scan Stars69 - isn't it cruel that they make pregnant women do anything on a full bladder!

My clinic suggested 2 good size glasses of water in the hour before the scan - which I think is much more sensible than 1.5 ltrs - which is basically the average daily recommended amount of water in half an hour!! That's crazy! Lynny, I reckon that yes, they are either dreaming, or they enjoy torturing people. Depending on bub's position, if they can't get a good enough read on the external monitor they do the trans-vaginal - which you don't have to have a full bladder for, but they like to have both options.