Thread: Seafood?

Default Seafood?

Hi guys...

Just wondering, if it is safe to eat seafood in early pg? DH and I were going to a seafood restaurant for our 1st anniversary in a couple of weeks, but I did a HPT thismorning and have a faint bfp... I don't want to risk it if it is not safe, but really really want to eat at this resturant!

Please help

I had a look in the `what to eat when your expecting` book and it said cooked seafood in early pregnancy is ok in small amounts and not too often but refrain from uncooked seafood such as fresh oysters or sushi. Otherwise enjoy your dinner just dont have seafood and fish too often.
    Have a great day
    Mel

Thanks Mel... I was hoping I could still eat there... I guess the Oysters Kilpatrick is out then... unless they are classed as cooked, coz, they sorta are...

No i will just eat the cooked stuff!

Thank you!

Mel - have a chat to your GP. There are alot of things we get told not to eat, but many of them are outdated; or less of a risk these days. ie. soft cheeses. Most books will tell you to avoid totally; but I have been now told they're find provided they're made from pasturised milk.

As for seafood, I too have heard to avoid unless you know it's cooked.

Lee-Ann Guest

I ate cooked seafood during the early months of my preg as I craved it, I ate cooked lobster, prawns, calamari and fish. Also seafood contains iodine which is important to maintain in our bodies during pregnancy.

Apparently the only seafood you need to stay away from, apart from raw, is fish higher up the food chain. eg swordfish and shark are definate no-no's. Also, I read that if you're going to have tinned tuna, only have it once or twice a week.

Hope it helps

Bel

Great thank you...

I don't like Tuna or Salmon... so no Oysters, but all the other stuff is right... oh and no flake etc...

I'm set... YAY!!!

Thanks heaps