Thread: serum test and nt scan timing

Default serum test and nt scan timing

Hi - I have to go and have my serum test and nt ultrasound. i know they should be about 5 days apart especially as i want the blood test results before so they can look at them together. when is the earliest you should do each of these tests?i was thinking of doing the blood test at 10 weeks 5 day and the scan at 11 weeks 5 days or 11 weeks 6 days - do you think this is OK?

There was a thread about this not that long ago.....I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

I know I had my BT about 10 days before the NT scan, but I can't for the life of me remember at what point LOL! Bloody pg brain!

Will see what I can dig up for you.

ETA Okay, just found my VCGS paperwork, this is the quote from it -

"The nuchal translucency test can be done between 11 weeks 3 days and 13 weeks 6 days of pregnancy (ideally at 12 weeks). The blood test is most informative if collected during the tenth week of pregnancy, however it can be collected between 9 weeks and 12 weeks 6 days of pregnancy."

I pretty much just followed those guidlines. HTHs!

Thank you so much!!!! I am 10 weeks now so I will try to do the blood test this week sometime and then book in the ultrasound for around 11 wks 6 days - which should be ok... thanks so much for your help!

No probs

Hi!

I'm worried that i have not been informed that i have to have a NT Scan. I have had two earlier Ultrasounds (One at 6wks and another at 8wks) due to a scare and then booked in for my first Antenatel after those. My first Antenatel app. will be at 13 weeks 1 day.
    Was this something that i should of been made aware of from my Local GP or is it one of those things i am presumed to already know?!!!
    Im really worried that i wont be able to 'book in' for the appropriate tests in time!

Jess

Jess,
    i'd call your GP and request him to give you referrals for both the blood test and scan (if you wish to have the screening done). at my first OB appointment, my OB had referrals waiting for me for my 10-week blood tests, 12-week NT scan, and 19-week anatomical scan...
    i'm a private patient so am out of pocket for all my appointments & scans, but i've read somewhere in another thread that 12-week NT scans aren't automatically covered by medicare for those patients who are using the public system... i'm not sure whether this affects (or bothers) you or not, but something to be aware of.

Jess, the NT scans are not routinely offered for women at low risk of birth defects. It tends to be those in the over 35 age bracket, previous history of miscarriage, or family history of birth defects, etc. The other thing is, this is not neccessarily a useful test to have as it's not 100% accurate and only acts as an indicator for further testing like chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis (which both involve sticking a big needle through your belly very close to the baby). I opted to have neither of these tests with my first PG in my 20s but now that I'm in an "at risk" group, I will have the NT scan as a possible way of preventing having the CVS or amnio further along (*fingers crossed*).

I got told I had the option of having the NT scan but they didnt push it as I am only 22, so not really in that high risk group. I was given a referral from my midwife when I had my first appointment at 10 weeks. I could also have gotten a referral from my GP, so maybe you could aks your GP about it. They said to go between 11 and 14 weeks. I went at 12weeks and 4 days and had the scan and blood test on the same day.

I am a public patient, and had to get the NT scan done at a private hospital. The blood test for it was fully covered by medicare, but I was out of pocket for the scan and 5 minute consultation about the results with the Ob there. The scan/consultation was $240, and then we got $60 or $80 or something back from medicare. I think you get more back if you are in a higer risk group though. Thats what the medicare person said anyway.

Thanks Everyone

I ended up going to my GP and getting the referral forms but alas i cannot find anywhere to be able to do the tests in time!! So will just have to wait for my first Antenatal and ask about 'so what now' then! Im not that worried as im not in any risk zone so will let it slide - no use worrying myself!! Thanks Again!

What if you have a healthcare card or private insurance would either of those cover the costs of the scan?

I am booked in for my NT scan when I am 12 weeks. They want me to have the blood test the Friday before (the scan is the following Wednesday).