Thread: sex during early pregnancy (tmi??)

Default sex during early pregnancy (tmi??)

hello

i have been reading a few books lately that state sex during pregnancy is completely safe, but further on in the book it says that it can induce labour... so i guess you could say i am very confused.

My husband and I have had sex since finding out we were pregnant, but we don't do it the same (eg, not all the way in) sorry if thats tmi.. can anyone really confirm that is is completely safe or has there not really been any tests done??

We don't want to miss out on some good times iykwim over the next 7 months.

My DH & I stopped havin sex after we found out I was pg namely due to the fact that we had two previous m/c and had read that sex can increase chances of m/c. Also I really didn't feel like sex until about 20 weeks, but by that time my DH wasn't interested and we haven't sex at all during this pg. I did tell him though that if bubs doesn't come by it's due date then he better be ready to go as I want to bring on labour! He still wasn't keen, but we'll see
    If you feel fine having sex and there is no bleeding, I would go for it, otherwise bring it up with your OBS/midwife

*TamaraP* Guest

From what I know, sex is completely safe during pregnancy, unless told otherwise.
    Due to my previous miscarriage, I am not allowed to have sex until OB tells me otherwise.
    But if you are enjoying it and everything is fine, keep going for it

Sex is safe during pg, unless like Tamara said, there is a medical reason not to. When the book spoke of inducing labour, it would have meant when you are at or close to term with your pg. The semen can act as a natural prostoglandin and can help get things going in there.

I am naturally not one of these extra amorous women during pg, but the extra raging hormones can certainly make it fantastic sometimes. So I say if you feel up to doing it, then by all means go for it, but just don't go swinging from chandeliers LOL.

Sex can still be enjoyed during pregnancy as long as there are no medical limitations such as previous m/c or bleeding. However, I was advised by my Ob that deep penetration is not a good idea. In the mean time, it's important to keep you and your loved one intimate with your pregnancy!

hmm now i'm a bit worried about the previous m/c thing

maybe we shouldn't have actual intercourse for a while.

*TamaraP* Guest

Sirenz... when you have your next OB visit just confirm about sex. The main reason I am not allowed is because I have had 1 m/c plus 2 chemicals... for me it is risky until they give me the all clear.

with both my preganancies my DH and i had a normal sex life. i found it a bit painful at times coz of everything going on in my body, but dr said it fine coz the pregnancies were fine. with our little angel baby dr told us to abstain from sex, but i had a lot of problems going on so i wasnt upto it anyway.

i know when you are about due to have bubs that sexual intercourse and the release of DH little swimmers can (in some cases) stimulate the hormones and help start labour.

maybe just ask your dr at your next appointment.

Definately talk to your dr I had bleeding and they advised me in my circumstance to not do anything for a week or so but i was too scared to for a while but now Im allowed to go for it lmao. As others have said sex is safe unless there is a medical reason or previous problems which advise not too, the only one who can safely determine how safe it is for you is a medical practitioner

Mama2Addison Guest

I didn't have sex for the first trimester with Addison, due to an early miscarriage in my previous pregnancy, however my midwife assured me it was safe, and had nothing to do with my miscarriage, but I didn't want to risk it all the same. Although my next pregnancy I would imagine I won't be as paranoid about it.

It is more later on in the pregnancy it can induce labour - like 38+ weeks

In the last pg and this one... sex life was never put on hold....from 6 weeks-39 weeks we still DTD.... had no problems.... just couldnt go as deep or use same positions....as everyone said... ask ur Dr and they will give you the answers u need!

ok thanks everyone.. i have my first appointment at the m/ward on thursday 16th may. (they never give you an appointment until you reach 12 weeks).. i will be sure to ask then.

Wow!
    I was never told NOT to have sex due to previous m/c??
    I find it strange. I guess there are plenty of differnet types of m/c, adn plenty of reasons, but I find it strange that they suggest no sex once your preg cos of previous m/c, when quite obviously you've already had sex?? IYKWIM
    I am not saying that anyone is wrong! By no means!! DO as the docs advise! I would have if I had been advised.

This fascinates me... I am 29w and we still DTD whenever we want. Why is it that the midwives and hosp in my area, don't seem to tell me anything??? Everyone else seems so clued up??

Hmmm... I must investigate.....

P>S is deep pentration THAT bad???? We dont DTD as often, but we still DTD the same as before, provided my belly doesnt get in the way!!
    lol

squishee my docs never tell me anything here either.. thats why i was so curious.. I guess that public hospitals for ya!

when i had my m/c all the doctor said was no sex for 4 weeks after the d&c and thats about it..

I was told at my first ob visit that sex was fine and that I didnt need to change anything until I got bigger and uncomfortable.

I am sure if you are having an uncomplicated pregnancy then there is no need to change anything. Like you say you dont want to miss out on the good times for the next 7 months (lol).