Thread: Sharp Cramps in First Couple of Weeks???

Default Sharp Cramps in First Couple of Weeks???

Hi Everyone

I've just found out I'm pregnant (4 weeks 1 day), but I have been having sharp cramps on my left side (where I ovulated) on and off. I have also been getting period type cramps - which I know is perfectly normal.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the sharp type cramps when they were pregnant early on?

Its really concerning me as my first pregnancy was ectopic and I'm so worried about it happening again. I didn't have any pain at all with the ectopic though, but I had bleeding, which I've not had any of this time.

I will be seeing my FS at 6 weeks for a scan, but she said there is nothing they can do before that!

Thanks!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Congratulations on your new pregnancy - I am sorry for your loss with ectopic pg.Goodluck and take each day as it comes - the waiting for 6 wk scan is terrible. It doesn't help when DR's say - there si nothing we can anyway !

I had similar cramping pains but I was doing IVF and had enlarged ovaries and lots of empty follicles.

I have heard that the corpus luteum - 'a cyst' but 'normal' is the leftover bit from where the egg is released from the ovary can cause this type of pain - and it is completely normal -it releases hormones necessary to sustain your pregnancy until the placenta takes over.

I would mention it to your Dr if it continues especially in light of your ectpoic pregnancy. I know panadol is safe to take.

I goggled this also.

It could well be a corpus luteum cyst that has persisted or a ligament which is stretching. If the uterus is retroverted, tipped towards your back, the ligaments are attempting to adjust to a new uterine position. The area next to the uterus is highly sensitive, rich in nerve fibers. Of course, all other complications should be ruled out such as appendicitis, ovarian pathology and ectopic (as you have done). We must never pass off this type of pain as normal unless we have evidence that it is not one of the rare complications of pregnancy.

I agree with Trish. It should ease in a couple of days or so.

babyluv Guest

hi there liss!
    I am 8wks1 day pg (by u/s date) and i have has sharp pain/cramping for the last 3-4 weeks. It has now seemed to ease off and i get these slight twinges in my left side where the sonographer said i ovulated from. I asked my doc and he said cramping pains are normal early on cause everything is stretching and moving for bubs.
    But good luck
    Amy

Thanks everyone.

I actually took clomid to fall pregnant and the pain is very very similar to the pain I had when I ovulated, so I'm thinking its probably from the corpus luteum.

Anyway the pain comes and goes and it certainly hasn't gotten any worse, and everything I've read about ectopic pain points to it getting steadily worse and probably not starting till about week 6.

So I will be crossing my fingers for the next two weeks till my scan.

Thanks again!

Liss.

Congrats on your pg Liss. I hope the pain eases up soon.