Thread: Sharp Pain

Default Sharp Pain

Hi again,

I just wanted your thoughts on a sharp pain I had in my lower abdomen last night. It lasted for about 20 seconds and I do still have light cramping in the same area (central/to right side of my lower abdomen). I think it happened when I stood up and leant over.

Some internet sites have said it can be normal, but Im not too sure.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Jess

Orkids Guest

Hi Jessica,

I had a lot of period type pain for basically the whole first trimester, it worried me sick, but I never bled or anything, and I saw a wriggly healthy 13 week old baby at the NT ultrasound O .

The uterus does a lot of stretching/growing in the early days, or it could be the remains of your luteal corpus cyst(prob spelled that wrong), where your egg came out of your ovary.

I had bad abdominal cramping at 9 weeks to the point that the GP sent me for an ultrasound... but everything was fine and it went away... I felt really silly, but everyone said it was important to get anything scary like that checked out.

I had a few strong abdominal pains in 2nd trimester when I was getting out of bed or off the lounge and it would be sharpe and go away after a few seconds and just feel like a pulled muscle for a few minutes after that.... everyone told me that was normal too, and it was the uterus stretching... But I would keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get worse!!

Christy

Pietta Guest

Hello,

I have always had cramping my whole preg so far. In the early days it was from the place on my ovary (what Lupeus thingo was described before!! :P ) where the baby gets all it's nutrients until the placenta takes over. The doc said that it would hurt on and off because i have had cysts on my ovaries before.
    Lately and since about 11 weeks I have had on and off cramping again, but TMI Warning!! It seems to happen either when i exert myself or if I am needing to do a poo. Somehow, not sure why, but i get reaaaallllyyy bad period type cramping when i need to do a poo, and after i have done it it goes away. As you can imagine tho, with the occassional constipation, it could be there for a while!!
    Lastly, i have had plenty of cramps just because my uterus is stretching.

I hope this helps as I know how scary it can be!!! Lots of my questions were answered by the wonderful women on here, so i hope i can return the favour!!

Thanks Pee, Christy and Jess.

I spoke to a colleague who said she felt exactly the pains I described so I am feeling a little better emotionally!

Books and internet sites vary so much. Some say go straight to your doctor if you feel sharp pain, others say its just a good sign your uterus is growing!

I feel much better, thanks again.

Jess

Orkids Guest

Actually - I'll second Pee on the bowely pains - I could hardly breathe I had such pain one morning, and it ended up just being constipation. I was ready to go to the ER, but 5 mins later the problem was... ahem.... gone.... 8-[

Pietta Guest

:smt046
    :smt041 Yay I'm not the only gross one!!! LOL

It is amazing how quickly the pain goes away isnt it!! :P

As gross as it is, thats important to know, coz I can admit that constipation has been my biggest symptom of pregnancy - lots of porridge for me now!

I'm sure it wasnt that kind of pain though, it was really period-like but sharp.

BUT, I am putting it down to growing pains!!!

ahhh... thats what the GP eventually put my pains down too... constipation & wind... LOL...

Christy

Pietta Guest

Ahhh constipation, the joy that our children bring!!

Lol- I went to ER thinking I had an appendix problem but apparently it was just gastro. They asked me to try and fart-lol (in a more appropriate way) and after I did it did feel a HEAP better!!

I can totally understand why people love being pregnant!!

kiwi-chell Guest

Hi everyone - you can add me to the list of those with the same....ahem....problem....last pregnancy there were times when I couldn't stand up straight the cramping was so bad until I was able to go to the toilet. I too have the now and again twinges of the uterus growing - I actually find them quite comforting - a little reminder that things are growing down there!

All I can say is for the past two weeks... go the porridge!

Christy

Kookie Guest

Default Period type pain

I am just four weeks and very happy. I lost a pregnancy last year at 8 weeks which broke my heart. I am of course living in hope that this little one decides to stick!

I have been having light period type of pain too and I'm glad to hear it seem quite normal.

I've been to see my Natropath to boost my fertiliy functioning and my OB is looking after me from day 1 to the end.

Fingers and toes crossed.

Hi Kookie

congratulations!!!

its great that you have your OB looking out for you from day 1.

hope you are feeling well.

im about 6 weeks - just started to get some nausea.

beccas

Kookie Guest

I've just come back from having another blood test to make sure my levels are going up as they should and I'll be doing this twice a week.

I feel different this time around and hope that that is a good indication.

I am going to speak to my OB about this, but a well intentioned friend told me that because I have had a misscarrige, this pregnancy is considered 'high risk' and therefore I should not fly in the first trimester.

My husband and I have tickets booked to Adelaide to see his family and I'll be 10.5 weeks. Can anyone help clarify this?

Hi Kookie

I have just replied to yoru other post re flying

Love :smt049