Thread: Sharp Stabbing Pain in Groin Area

Question Sharp Stabbing Pain in Groin Area

I'm currently 6 weeks into my pregnancy and last night when I got home from work I started experiencing a sharp stabbing pain in my groin. Unfortunately it hasn't left me and I've had it on/off all night. There is no bleeding though I have had brownish discharge over the past week which by the sounds of things is quite common, but I'm scared as this is a nasty pain . I'm hoping the pregnancy isn't in danger though as I'm not having pains in my tummy and there isn't bleeding. Has anyone else experienced a similar pain in the same area or different? I've taken the day off work and I'm going to the Dr's to have them investigate further but I just thought I'd see what others here might have experienced themselves in the meantime.

Last edited by Trinny; April 13th, 2007 at 05:55 PM.

Hi Trinny
    I think that the sharp stabbing pains are normal, it would most likely be your uterus stratching to accomodate your growing baby. I had these as well as even though they were annoying and sometimes worrying it also made me feel good to know that my body is adjusting to the changes. I also get the brownish discharge and think that this also is nothing to be worried about. I usually find that I get more when I would be due for a period (if I wasn't pregnant).

Is this your first? Its my first and trust me every niggle and twitch is thought of as something sinister. Check with your dr to get reassurance but from my experience, it's all part of having a baby.

Good luck and let us know how you go

Hi Trinny

With my first pg i had major pains that i could barely walk (i didn't even know i was pg - must have been 5 weeks or so)...in my subsequent pg i have had similar pains - i believe these are normal (things are already growing and stretching etc). On the down side though when i miscarried i had major pains in my tummy though (not in groin) but i bled heavily too (saying that in my last pg i had the same and the pg continued)...so who knows - best to check it out - have an u/s and get some reassurance. I am sure everything is perfect just getting ready for the big day.

Good luck !

I have had heaps of stabbing pains, cramp like - discussed withmy OB and she said it was strateching and growing uterus etc. nothing to worry about. I think it is something to worry about if you also have bleeding.

Thank you all for you advise and help. I'll keep everything in mind

jadore Guest

I had this and I was told its normal. It sounds like your ligaments are stretching into place and it could also be Sciatic pain.
    Expecting #3 EDD 24th July 2007

Stabbing pain are quite normal as your uterus is stretching and the ligaments are stretching to accomodate your baby. There's a lot going on there which cause the tremendous pain. As long as you don't have any bleeding, it sounds quite normal.

Hope the pain will ease soon. Wish you a healthy pregnancy!