Thread: shopping list for baby

tt3142 Guest

Default shopping list for baby

Hi girls,

I guess this is one of the best parts of pregnancy - shopping, but I have no idea what the essential things are that I need to buy? Obvious I need a pram, size 000 baby clothes, nappies, some blankets(what sort?) ... or maybe a baby monitor?

Also please help me make up a checklist to prepare for the baby's arrival, for example, what kind of health insurance should I have for the baby? I forgot to change my health insurance level to cover pregnancy and now I'll have to pay for all the private hospital bills etc., I don't want that to happen again with the baby.

thanks,
    tt
    p.s could anyone recommend some maternity shops as well? in Melbourne area.

fow far along are you tt3142???

Hi, there are a couple of articles about this on the main BB site, will see if I can find them and link to this post.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...s-what-to-wear

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...-need-for-baby

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...hings-for-baby

Health insurance - are you definitly going to a private hospital? I have Private insurance but went public, in which case your out of pocket costs will be minimal anyway. Some insurance companies require you to upgrade to family cover (or single parent cover depending on circumstances) before the birth, others let you do it after, its best to check with your insurance company.

There is also one Health insurance company that only has 9 month waiting period on obstetrics in hospital, I think its latrobe health or hcf, not sure
    Last edited by Pandora; February 15th, 2007 at 09:42 AM.

I live at Belly Button maternity when I am pregnant. All of their stuff is fabulous!!!
    They have a website too if you want to check it out.

For baby needs, prams etc. I found Baby Bunting to have the best range. You wouldn't even bother walking into Baby Co after shopping at Baby Bunting.

tt3142 Guest

hi *noni*e* ... my baby's due day is in October .. yes a bit early to start any shoppings now but I just can't wait.

rayray and sarah, thanks for the links and info

nah not too early i have already got a few little things lol and if i had the money i would probably have everything i need by now lol and i am due in september lol i totally understand

Hi TT - Congratulations!

A lot of the department store type chains have lists on their websites on things to buy for baby as well (Target, Big W etc). Mind you, I thought they were a bit OTT. Definately check out the threads rayray provided!

In regards to maternity stores, I guess it depends on where you live in Melb and what kind of fashion you're into. I got a lot of my stuff from Maternity Mode in Preston which stockes some well known brands including Ripe and Belly Button. AND they are cheaper than some of those chains themselves! Also, there is Pea in a Pod which has a factory outlet in Collingwood/Richmond (corner of Hoddle Street and Langridge). Most of my shirts I got from Pumpkin Patch because I found them to be good value and long lasting. A couple of shirts I bought from maternity shops are "hand wash" and lets face it - what pregnant woman wants to hand wash? Mind you, I throw them through the machine in a delicates bag...

I agree about Baby Bunting. I LOVE them! We went to the one at Ringwood and bought a very expensive pram and a few other bits and DH "haggled" and got an 8% discount or something (but they won't discount car seats). You can also get a standard 5% discount card from them... Someone also suggested One Stop Baby Shop to me but I never got there (other side of town for me). Apparently they are really cheap.

HTH

MG

I didnt start buying till after 12weeks, but, really, its never to early to start getting bits together.
    One thing i did, which was quite helpful, was i kept a list of things to get, which i added to as i browsed the forum. I listed absolutly everything under the sun that i could possibly think of, and then some more.
    Then, i went thru it again, and thought more critically about items, and if i really needed them, or just wanted them. Not everything is necessary, esp if you read some of the threads on what peoples brought, but didnt need. But, everyone is different.
    Then each week, it is my target to get 2 or 3 of the items of the list, so that hopefully, by the time i finish work, i will have everything that i need. And, fingers crossed, havent forgotten anything. I even included things i needed for me, in terms of jammies, sock, etc for hospital, and breast pads.
    If money is abit of an issue, then perhaps also look at a baby reigister if you are having baby shower, to help get some of the bits like blankets, towels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mum2bee View Post
    One thing i did, which was quite helpful, was i kept a list of things to get, which i added to as i browsed the forum. I listed absolutly everything under the sun that i could possibly think of, and then some more.
    Then, i went thru it again, and thought more critically about items, and if i really needed them, or just wanted them. Not everything is necessary, esp if you read some of the threads on what peoples brought, but didnt need. But, everyone is different.
    Then each week, it is my target to get 2 or 3 of the items of the list, so that hopefully, by the time i finish work, i will have everything that i need. And, fingers crossed, havent forgotten anything. I even included things i needed for me, in terms of jammies, sock, etc for hospital, and breast pads.
    I did the same (and made sure to include things I needed like undies for hospital, new gel heat pack etc) and found it a god send. It also made it really easy when people said "what can I buy you?". I just crossed things off as I got them. I also found it really helpful (and less of an impact on the bank account) to buy a little wach week - especially things like dummies, pads, nappies...

my list also include lots n lots of undies - and super duper pads. Also put on there extra soft toilet paper to take to hospital with me for my extra sore bits after wards!

I'd also buy a few 0000 jumpsuits...my dh had to go out shopping while I was in the hospital as bubba was only little! hehe!