Thread: should i ....

Question should i ....

hi girls,
    just wondering if i should have a blood test ? i am 4 and a bit weeks pg and saw the Dr Monday and he said no need for a blood test, just a urine test to confirm? i read about hcg levels and wonder if i should know mine? we are heading to cairns tomorrow so wont be able to see Dr till next week! i see my ob on the 6th march is that enough! should i not worry?
    sorry to be a pest but its my first and have no idea whats going on!:eek:
    thanks!

Hey Amber, some doctors don't do a blood test to confirm a pregnancy if you've had a positive urine test, nothing unusual there. When I was pregnant all I had was an initial "yes you are pregnant" blood test then no others until later on for other things. It's not necessary to know your HCG levels at all.

thanks its all so new! i have no idea! so glad i can come to this forum to get help!
    thanks so much!!!

clare076 Guest

Honestly, knowing your beta level will just give you something else to worry about. You will worry its not high enough, or if it's higher than normal you will start thinking multiples. I didn't have testing with Max or this pregnancy, GP just took my word for it when I said I was pregnant.

Don't stress hun...my GP did absolutely nothing for me...didn't even get me too POAS in his office as he believed me when I said I got 5 + HPTs back at home! The first blood test I had was with my ob when I saw him which was around 7 1/2 weeks and even then, there was no mention of HCG levels. Enjoy your holiday!!!!

I had my hCG level with me when I went to see the GP, asked "does this mean I'm pregnant?" (DH thought it was a brain tumour, I had previously thought it was just a hormone imbalance) and she was very, very careful to say "yes" before seeing the grins and adding in her congratulations! As I was about 8w gone then the levels were high, but it didn't help date the pregnancy at all (aside from 6-16w pg). She didn't want to do any more tests after that, just said she'd do a referral to the hospital for a dating scan. I think they usually just accept that you have a +ve HPT and don't worry after that until your 12w appointment tests.

If you're pregnant then you're pregnant and a number isn't going to change that, so sit back, relax and enjoy your holiday!

Hi Amber,

Congrats on your pregnancy!
    I agree with the others, it does just give you something else to stress about. So unless you have any troubles, it's not really neccessary...just let things go along.

All the best:-)

I'm 11 weeks and have at no stage known my HCG levels. I've had my first blood test on Monday which was for by NT scan.

While I have been intrigue what my levels are I agree it would be something else to worry about.

Dont bother hun. I got my bloods taken (coz i havent had a period since May 05, so needed to know roughly when i was due). Anyway got my HCG levels back yesterday and i found myself "googling" my results last night - i wish i didnt know them now.......like the othes have said, something else to worry about.

Hi, my understanding is they do HcG levels is either to date the PG (if you're wildly unsure) or if there is a history of previous miscarriage - to track how the PG is going. The other reason it may be done is when there is bleeding. So not having HcG levels done is actually a good thing (It means you're sitting in the healthy pregnancy bracket) and definitely much less to worry about!