Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping on back ok or not?

Quote Originally Posted by mum2bee View Post
    My figuring with this pretty much, if you can avoid it, like all potential risks, then by all means go for it, but, dont keep your self awake at night worring about how you are sleeping.
    I reckon that's sound advice! I'm a back-sleeper and stressed out for ages when I was pg about sleeping on my back. It's not worth the stress! The risk is minimal, but if you are very worried, another good idea (I found it worked for me *some* nights) is to make a pile of pillows to lean back on so that you're semi-reclined, KWIM?
    In any case, I would recommend sleeping however you are comfy for as long as you can... There'll be plenty of sleeping discomfort later on in the pregnancy ha ha

cassie82 Guest

At 6weeks, my gp said it's better to get into the habit of sleeping on your side when you can.. Simply because after a while it will become so uncomfortable you won't be able to lie on your back.. I'm only 9 weeks now and already find I can't fall asleep on my back.. It really comes down to mind over matter.. If you believe sleeping on your back is bad for the baby, make a consious effort not to.. Otherwise, enjoy it while you can :-)

I still often wake up in the night on my back.......my body lets me know when I've been on it too long! I get very uncomfortable, and the tingling and numbness that others talk about. Sometimes bubs kicks me too! I try not to sleep on my back, but it's difficult, I don't like sleeping on my side (I get the sore shoulder too!). I find pillows very helpful, especially one between my legs coming up under my belly. If I really feel the need to lie flat, I just prop half of my back on a pillow so I'm not totally flat IYKWIM? I've heard that this is acceptable.

As to when to stop back sleeping.......I continued to do it until my body told me not to! It was pretty clear when it was time to stop LOL!

congrats on your pregnancy! I often slept on my back right up til 36weeks. i was recommended not to but i figured if i was comfy we would be fine and we were. At 36 weeks if i stayed on my bac for too long my legs would get pins and needles so i figured that was telling me that it was no longer safe to back sleep.

Goodluck, just do what feels right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12