Thread: Some Advice on Caffeine Please

Default Some Advice on Caffeine Please

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the intake of Caffeine please? I am not a huge coffee drinker but do love a cup of tea and seem to be having about 3 cuppa's a day at the moment. It can be either a classic Liptons or an Earl Grey.... 7 weeks in and not sure what is advisable.

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks

My old OB in Darwin used to tell me that one hit of caffeine a day was fine (ie 1 cup of coffee or 1 cup of tea or 1 bar of choccy, or one can of coke....)

Easier said than done...............

Yeah - I try to stick to the 1-2 a day. So I will usually miss my nightly tea if I have a coffee out at lunch for example. I have never counted choccie as a hit of caffiene though!!!
    If you like your tea, maybe time to start something like a chamomile instead?

Or peppermint tea........when I was pg with Olivia I switched to peppermint tea totally......my skin bloomed......& it is great for your digestion.......

This could have been me writing this message. I am finding really hard to limit caffine. I have bought some decaf Dilmah tea, which doesn't taste as good but satisfies the nice warm cuppa feeling. Not sure if it's completely caffine free, doing some research on it now

Just adding decaf teas have 97% of the caffine removed
    Last edited by ~Saram~; July 2nd, 2006 at 09:04 PM.

Drat, I know I read something on this the other day, but can't find it now.

Basically, 2-3 "hits" a day is fine, a "hit" is just under one cup of coffee, 1 cup tea, 1 50g choc bar, 1 can cola.

I tend to drink decaff and have maybe 5-40g choc a day: I know I like my chocolate more than my coffee! I also will be drinking more hot juices (made with concentrate) than decaff in the winter; I can't do hot juice in the summer!

I agree with the girls, but you can get decaf for both coffee and tea, and there are herbal teas that are really nice, and can be very relaxing as well

mummymeegs Guest

I was concerned about this too and read yesterday that you could have 2 cups of coffee or 4 cups of tea a day!! So many conflicting ideas!! I have met in the middle and have two cups of tea a day. I may switch to peppermint though! I think it is just the warmth that I enjoy atm! But I must add that I did cut it out completely in the first tri... Just to be safe.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Try Madura (sp) tea, it tastes alot better that the other decaf teas.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Ist pregnancy I gave up caffiene totally until I was about 7 months.
    This time I started having one cup of brewed coffee in the morning again at about 14 weeks, once the morning sickness stopped.
    But I have also been told just to keep it under three cups a day.

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate all the advice. Will limit my cuppas a day and try a few herbals too. Can't do me any harm eh??? It really is that warm cuppa thing I'm sure!!!

Regards

You can have up to 300mg caffeine per day.. any more can contribute to miscarriage. So just remember things like chocolate, tea and some soft drinks also contain caffeine.

Heres some approximates:
    Short black/Espresso coffee = 107 mg per standard serve, commercial purchase
    Plunger/percolated coffee = 60 - 120 mg per 250mL (8oz) cup
    Instant coffee (1 teaspoon per cup) = 60 - 80 mg per 250mL (8oz) cup
    Decaffeinated coffee (1 teaspoon) = 3 mg per 250mL (8oz) cup
    Tea = 10 - 50 mg per 250mL (8oz) cup
    Iced tea = 70 mg per 250mL (8oz) can
    Caffeinated ' Energy' Drinks = 80 mg per 250mL (8oz) can
    Cola drink = 40 - 49 mg per 375mL (12.6oz) can
    Hot chocolate = 10 mg per 250mL (8oz) cup
    Chocolate milk = 5 mg per 250mL (8oz) cup
    Milk chocolate = 20 mg per 100gm bar
    Dark chocolate = 70 mg per 100gm bar
    Chocolate syrup = 5 mg per 30 gm