Thread: Spotting at 5 weeks

Red face Spotting at 5 weeks

Hi all,
    I am 5 weeks pg and am over the moon it is my second pg.
    I started spotting this morning and first brown CM and then brown blood (not much) I have had a little cramping but nothing out of the ordinary. It has stopped now and I spoke to the nurses and they said it is normal but can't tell till I have my scan on the 8th she also said it could be old blood.
    Does anyone know why it happens besides giving me a hell of a shock this morning and how long it happens?
    We are going away this weekend with friends but am abit nervous now.

Hiya,

Everyone is different but I had spotting on and off throughout the 1st and 2nd trimester with my daughter sometime lasting about a week before stopping and it worried me sick as I had previously lost the twins but it all worked out fine, the blood wasn't coming from the baby just me somewhere. I have spotted during this pregnancy too and again have paniced but it has lasted a day and then stopped.
    So try not to panic and relax, I know easier said than done!
    Takecare, all the best
    Missy

Hi there azz

Congrats on the new pregnancy....I had a small bleed of old blood at 4 weeks (which i am sure was my implantation bleed), I then had a bleed at 8 weeks - old blood about 20mls, then another at 11 weeks same as the 8 week bleed.

I think a lot of women just bleed in thier first trim, the rule of thumb is if it is old blood it is ok, it is is fresh blood accompanied by pain then seek medical advice.

There are many reasons why though, from remnents of implantation to chorionic heamatomas.

I am sure everything will be fine, you just have to believe your body is doing all it is supposed to.

Thanks Missya and Shanchez,
    It's good to hear it's made my nervous settle abit. I got a little bit back again this afternoon so hopefully it just my body cleaning out the old blood I am just worried as it didn't happen to me with my last pg so it is all new to me.
    I am over analyzing everything I am feeling now, like is that a normal feeling or not crazy . We are going away for 3 days tomorrow so hopefully that will help keep my mind off it.
    Thanks alot again ladies for shearing your experiences it makes it easier to know other people go through it to. GL with you pregnancies and hope it is a healthy and happy one for you both.

Azz - I am not sure if the over analyzing ever goes away! Every twinge and strange feeling I am quick to diagnose as something going wrong!

We can only have faith that our beans want to be with us.

GL with YOUR pregnancy

I had brown spotting at around 5 & 6 weeks but all turned out well.