Thread: Struggling with eating..

Default Struggling with eating..

Argh.. I have gotten to the point where I dont know what to eat!!! It probably doesnt help when I dont do a very good shop and dont buy anything. But still, I wouldnt even know what to buy from the shops.

What do people do for snacks when they dont know what to eat and for dinner too?! And how long does this last for??!! Its annoying because when I get real hungry I start to gag.

Well any advice would be great!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Definitely having crackers around really helps, have nibbly things that you can pick at so you've got a variety to choose from. I found it helped to not have limited things, lots of things that you can pick at is wonderful. Sultanas, cheese, fruit (grapes, apples etc), museli bars, english muffins.

With getting things for dinner, planning ahead really helps if you have say a weeks worth or menus you can easily chop and change things around if you don't feel like having all of the others. Having a wide varitey of things that you can make will help so it's good to not limit yourself there.

HTH

Oh Veronica, I really know how you feel! Although the most horrid part of my m/s has gone, my appetite leaves alot to be desired! If I leave it too long between meals I get hungry, but I just can't think of anything I want to eat! It was like that too when I was really sick, but it didn't bother me cos I was too sick to eat LOL. Now I just despair all day of what to put in my mouth!

I would say WHATEVER you feel like, just eat it! (as long as it's safe) Other than that, what the girls suggested is good, snack type foods and the like. I am a bit into fruit ATM, but that's just as likely to change tomorrow! Yoghurt is one thing I've been able to eat all the way through, but I've always been a yoghurt lover. I loved hot chips a couple of weeks ago, but I've gone off them again.

I really hope that you can find something, and that this is as bad as it gets for you hun.

I know it really doesn't help, but you are definitely not the only one going through this!

I dont think my not knowing what to eat has got much to do with m/s as I have mild m/s! Its just the fact that I am hungry, but I dont know what I want to eat because I dont have an appetite anything. Ah well, hopefully it will pass soon!! I am making a roast for dinner so tht is going to be interesting to see if I eat any or not but really hanging for roast veges!

Mmmmmm.....vegies are good! Hope they help your appetite to come back

Veronica I was the same, I'd be starving & not know what I wanted, I just knew what I didn't want LOL! And yep not eating made me feel sick as well. I just found that I'd have to have lots of snacky things in the house, lots of different fruits & a whole variety of dinner things. Tough I know when shopping is the furthest thing from your mind.

I had this same feeling! One thing I found I could eat almost any time was milk arrowroot bickies! I had horrid morning sickness all day, and so i had no appetitie at all and everything made me spew.
    But now I snack on crackers and small easy fruit like grapes.

Nyssa Guest

Hey Ngala,

I know waht you mean, i only have mild m/s too, but i have this major hunger problems... If i don't eat about every 2 hours i feel ill and if i eat too much in one sitting i feel ill too, dry salada's are my friend work at any time of the day in a hurry if necessary, i also make up massive bowls of fruit salad..... and just pick at it whenever i feel like i need something...

As for dinners, argh, i've fel like something so often only to cook it and then eat two mouthfuls and go ick, don't want this anymore, fall back on dry crackers hehe..

Nyssa

Well my roast dinner was lovely but I only finished half of it! I definitely am not eating as much as I used to LOL

Sarah - yes shopping is the last thing I want to be doing!! But I guess I got to go and find some snack foods. I found some muesli bars at home today and that did the trick for a while.

I guess the aim is to just eat lil snacks all the time and hopefully it'll be enough!! I am loving fruit at the moment, well actually not as much as a week ago!! But a fruit salad is always nice!

And you all know what? 1 hour after eating dinner and I am hungry again! PMSL!!

Veronica-- I've been exactly the same and it is definitely compounded by the fact that I've been too tired to do a "proper" shop. I have found Jatz and Cruskits a lifesaver. I'm now into avocado or peanut butter on the cruskits- adventurous I know!!?? I also find if I carry fruit mentos or something similar that just that little bit of sugar can alleviate my nausea. When I was really struggling a week or so ago I would eat mashed potato for dinner-- yummy! Ginger beer is great as well because the ginger settles your tummy and the bubbles help you burp (attractive!)
    Goodluck finding what works for you.

Veronica i had the same problem in the 1st trimester and then a little at the start of the 3rd.
    The only days i eat well is if i have made something at home. I made shortbread and sausage rolls today and have eaten half of what i made.

Your more than welcome to pop round anytime i am in a baking mood and help me eat it

Hi Veronica, I had this problem last time, and my naturopath put me on herbal bitters (bitter green leafy veggies all minced up in a bottle) as they are a very good old fashioned remedy for stimulating appetite. The other thing I found was I was more interested in salty foods, so maybe up the savoury component of what you are eating!

HTH

Debbie Lee Guest

I'm having the same issues Veronica. I get hungry (so hungry that I feel like I'm gonna hurl) but I just don't know what I want to eat!
    I sort of had this with Gab but it'd slightly different. With her I felt really, really sick so it was more that I couldn't decide what to eat (in case I threw it up!).
    This time I feel better once I have eaten but what to eat is always the issue!
    I think I'll stock up on fruit and snacks when I got shopping next.

Michelle, mmm I LOVE shortbread!!

Debbie and Hope - its really hard isnt it!! I cant wait for it to go away so I can start loving what I am eating!!

I mostly snacked on fruit and yohgurt today and felt pretty good all day.. If I found myself getting hungry made sure I ate straight away to keep the gagging away. I am definitely going to stock up on snacks on my next shopping. Biscuits sound like a good idea, eating crackers at the moment but kinda dry and boring! LOL

I am the same way. I cant stand to look at food, especially at dinner. I get the shakes during the day, and I know i have to eat. But when it comes to dinner, can't touch anything. Drinking is fine though.