Thread: subchrionic haematoma

Default subchrionic haematoma

hi im a 21 yr old with an almost 3 yr old and found out that im preg again i have a subchrionic haematoma plz can some1 tell me wot this is and wot it can do to my baby?????

A subchorionic hematoma is a sequestration of blood within the folds of the developing placenta. It usually has no effect on the growing fetus or on the pregnancy and usually dissipates on its own within a few weeks.
    I just got that from Google. Hope that helps and everything is okay. Apparently it doesn't affect the baby. Try and relax *hugs*

thanks heaps i looked but i couldnt find anything i have a u/s on thursday this will be the 2nd to see how things r goin hope it all is well

I had an SCH and bled for most of this pregnancy so far.

Mine appears to have disissipated at 10 weeks, with a tiny bit left in there.

It is very scary to hear at first, my doctor told me some awful stats but I found doing research that it wasn't as bad as he made out it to be. Basically you have a slightly higher chance than normal to miscarry, and it's important not to do anything strenuous, have full pelvic rest (no sex, etc), do not life anything heavier than 4 litres of milk (like a child) and rest up as much as you can. I found in my case that doing only small things would make me bleed a lot and I had to be careful. I rested up really well for 5 weeks and I am sure that helped it go away.

Keeping googling it and you will find some good sites on it, one in which has a link to a suppport yahoo group (i'm sorry but I can't post it up here I don't think).

It's certainly not a death sentence, and it sounds scary, but just remember to rest up and not stress and all that helps to make it go away.

tara thanks that really helps to know that.i went to my dr today and talked bout it with him he said that it's not really something to worry bout but he told me wen i go for u/s on thurs that the baby mite be dead or alive and if it is alive he will do scans again at 12 weeks really hope it all is well i havent had much bleeding just 2 days where i had spotting and afta last u/s as it was an internal one. hope all goes well for u and ur little 1

Lira, I really hope things go well for you also, please let us know how your U/S go.

I got told my baby actually had died before I had my second u/s, that's how sure the doctor was as i was bleeding out red clots. I think the doctors just look at it from the point of view is that once you are bleeding that there is a reduced chance of the baby surviving.

From what I've read, most women never know they have a SCH, but it's just picked up at routine scans. Most never bleed either. I reckon it's way more common that people think and that most never realize because they don't have an early u/s or they don't bleed at all.

Doctor's don't like to tell you the other side of the coin I think...I said to mine when he told me that it was likely I had lost my baby ' Surely you've seen women bleed out clots and have a surviving baby' and he said yes, but it's extremely rare blah blah. You can imagine what hell I went through until I got in for a scan after that visit. For two days I was told to get used to the fact I had lost the baby. You can imagine my relief when I had the scan and saw a little HB...but that was also when they diagnosed my SHC. I started seeing a new doctor after all that that wasn't so doom and gloom, but still they don't like you getting your hopes up.

I'll be thinking of you and waiting to hear about your scan. The best thing to remember is that so many women with SCH go onto have very successful pregnancies and healthy babies

A subchrionic haematoma is a small collection of blood on the placenta. Usually this does not cause any problems and is reabsorbed by your body or the placenta.

I had one with this pg & I never bled at all.
    Goodluck, let us know how you get on!

Just Got Back From U/s Baby Is Alive And Well Heart Beat Was 144 Im So Happy I Was Stressin Ova Nothin I Guess