Thread: Thumping heart

Default Thumping heart

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else was suffering from what I can only describe as a "thumping heart". It is like my heart skips a beat one second and the next just thumps. It isn't painful or anything, just a little worrying I suppose. It feels like my heart is going to come right out of my chest!

I remember reading a thread recently where people were saying that your heart can race / palpitate during pregnancy. And unless it's a continuing thing, dr's don't seem to be too worried about it.

I've had exactly what you describe, but not while pg. I used to feel it lying in bed at night.

Hope it's nothing serious. Take care of yourself.

Thank you Ivana_baby, now that I think back I did get it every now and then at night before I was pregnant, it just seems to have intensified itself in the last few weeks! I will mention it to my OB next time I see her.

Do you eat a lot of bannanas & potatos? Too much potassium can cause little palpatations.

I have a banana everyday and probably potatoes nearly everyday, so maybe I am eating to much potassium. Bananas is one of things I can keep down at the moment, so will just have to put up with the palpitations if they are the cause!

i think you also feel all of your heart beats much more when pg, because there is so much more blood being pumped around, so it is more obvious if you do have a palpatation.

Linda

Lisa I got it too, although it seems to have calmed now (yay) had it really bad for about 2 weeks. Went to the Dr and she said its common and that I wasn't to worry.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Lisa,
    Palpatations are common with pregnancies. Due to the excess blood pumped around and also the hormones. I have had it with all three preg. More so in the second tri.

Yep I agree, have heard heart palpitations are very common in pregnancy, I know of at least 1 other friend whom had them, haven't asked anyone, she volunteered the info.

I get them too, but was getting them b4 I was pg & an ECG showed up as fine. They can also be caused by anxiety.