Thread: Too much Vit C during pregnancy??

Lightbulb Too much Vit C during pregnancy??

Hi everyone!

I thought I would post this question to see if anyone has heard any reliable info on it...because I am a bit confused!

There seems to be lots of things on the net about vit C during pregnancy, and it seems that there may be some concerns about if you have too much vit C during pregnancy?? Other sources say it's not really an issue but I am wondering if anyone has heard if it is bad to have too much vit C when you are pregnant (I am esp interested in early pregnancy)????
    Could you get too much just from your diet or would you have to be taking lots of vit c supps to do it??
    I love making freshly squeezed OJ and could drink it all day if I had the energy to make it so it made me think am I getting too much vit c (when you include diet and preg supps also)...
    If anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear..

chelleg Guest

Hi Lee! I've never heard of too much Vitamin C in pregnancy but i haven't done any research on this either. By eating a balanced diet i'm certain that you wouldn't be having too much vitamin C.

My friend was going through 2 or 3 x 3kg bags of oranges a week when pg with her DS - due to cravings! They both are fine post birth, and 12 years on!

The body will just get rid of extra vitamin C, if there is too much, so I dont think it would be a big issue. I read something about it in a book ages ago, but I have no idea where or what the book was.

Excessive vitamin c (HUGE doses) in VERY early pregnancy (ie weeks 1-5) are suggested to interfere with implantation and the production of progesterone in very early pregnancy. Without going into too much detail, certain herbs that contain high levels of vitamin c are known to have abortifacient qualities as historically they were taken as an old wives tale to "bring on your period". But the dose you would need to take is MASSIVE (ie 6000mg per day), so consuming a lot of oranges will not do you any harm at all.

Talking

What about if you drink a litre of orange juice a day.....

A naturopath told me once that your body only takes as much vitamin C as it needs, and the rest is simply flushed out of your body kwim? so she said there was no real way that you could take too much, unless like Lucy said and you take it in those epic proportions.

I craved oranges in early and late pg too and would eat up to 1/2 dozen in a sitting LOL.

1 litre of OJ gives you approx 200mg of vit c.........so you would need to drink around 30l a day (ie 30 cartons!!) to be worried........

I had bronchitis in early PG and was on antibiotics for 6 weeks and not getting better & the GP put me on massive doses of Vitamen C, a ginger tonic & some Inner Health to help increase my immune system on top of preg vitamens. I was taking 2000mg of vit c daily. All was good