Thread: Toxoplasma Tests?

aries2003 Guest

Default Toxoplasma Tests?

Just wondering if any of you have had a test for the above in routine testing or if you have requested it?

Its mentioned alot in pregnancy books but I havent' been tested for it. Should I be?

I don't think i have ever heard of it so not sure if it is a routine test.

LOve

Toxoplasma serology is not a routine antenatal test.

Default Toxo

I have been tested for Toxoplasmosis. I work with cats in the vet hospital and since finding our I am PG have had to study toxoplasmosis a bit because I did know a vet nurse who lost her baby due to an infection of toxo. Basically it is spread in cat's faeces or urine (?)someone else can correct me if they want... and also through uncleaned vegetables and undercooked meat like pork which may be unclean... There isn't a great chance of someone who doesn't own cats and cleans their vegetables in catching toxo, but someone with cats may be told that their partners should clean the litter trays and not to dig in the garden where cats may wee or poo... Also someone who may have had exposure to it will not get it again and it will not affect their baby.
    Someone who works with animals on the other hand needs to be a bit more careful! I used to handle around 10 cats per day and now I handle 1-2 and do not clean the litter trays because I am a bit paranoid... :wink:

I got tested last time (by request), and I had an immunity to it, but my dr still told me I didn't have to change the litter trays if I didn't want to....
    LOL
    Dont forget you can get toxo from garden soil/potting mix. Its not just when handling animals/faeces.

I have no immunities, I was tested but...my dr said chances are if we have an indoor cat and I have no immunities my cat doesn't have toxo. Would you be able to confirm or deny this Christy? And can you get your local vet to test your cat for toxo?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yep you can get your cat tested, but from memory the test is around $100 so it may be cheaper to get yourself tested. BUT toxoplasmosis is usually found in cats that eat offall or raw meat that isn't processed like offall or rats/mice etc. The only other way you can contract toxoplasmosis is from your cat getting in a fight with another cat who has it & has poo on it where a scratch occurs. So its pretty hard to get.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

When I was pregnant with Marisa Dr. Nick told me that if I wanted to get Toxoplasmosis then I would have to suck on cat poo LOL... GROSE! It is quite hard to get.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

LOL thats true Kelly, somehow the poo has to get into your mouth...ewww!!!

Aries

It is not a test that is normally done in pregnancy. All the above posts are correct. The only other reason I can think of for being tested is if you have a severely weakened immune systems from HIV/AIDS or similar diseases. To help prevent getting toxoplasmosis Wear gloves when you garden or do anything outdoors that involves handling soil. Cats, which may pass the parasite in their feces, often use gardens and sandboxes as litter boxes. Wash your hands well with soap and water after outdoor activities, especially before you eat or prepare any food.
    When preparing raw meat, wash any cutting boards, sinks, knives, and other utensils that might have touched the raw meat thoroughly with soap and hot water to avoid cross-contaminating other foods. Wash your hands well with soap and water after handling raw meat.
    Cook all meat thoroughly; that is, to an internal temperature of 160° F and until it is no longer pink in the center or until the juices become colorless. Do not taste meat before it is fully cooked. Always wash your hands well before eating, drinking, putting on lipstick, smoking or any activity where your hands are close to your mouth.

Alan (Midwife)

I was tested and was immune to it as I had been previously been exposed. Didn't have any problems and have a healthy baby.

I have not been tested, but would probably like to do so if I ever get pg again.
    I have lived with cats all of my life, so there is a chance that I could already be immune to toxoplasmosis, but as I still have cats I would want to know whether I would have to take any big precautions if I fell pg again.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Same here Ambah, I was asked to be tested for it, as I always had cats around me and I know many a time I have been the unlucky recipient as a child, playing in a sandpit where a cat had made a deposit! But to my surprise, I had no antibodies to it! I thought that was so strange, especially since I had also lived on a farm for several years. So hard to get!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Ambah - me too. I've had cats in my bed every night since I was about 3! And have also cleaned up some pretty good messes.....
    My dr said I could wear gloves and still change the litter trays if I wanted too - I didn't so I never told Shane that bit, and he changed them all through my last pregnancy.
    You just have to make sure you wash your hands, as an immunity doesn't mean you still wont get it if you come into contact. Just means you have less liklehood - if that makes sense?