Thread: Tummy sleeper - is it ok?

heidi Guest

Question Tummy sleeper - is it ok?

Does anyone know if it's bad for my milk production or baby belly to sleep on my tummy?

Before I got pregnant I always ended up on sleeping on my tummy (much to my chiropractors dislike). For the past 12 weeks it's been too uncomfortable to sleep on my tummy (because of very sore BB), hence I haven't slept much as I find it really really hard to sleep on my back and side.

But now I seem to find myself sleeping on my tummy and a friend of mine said doing this could cause problems with the milk glands because of the pressure on them. I do get sore from sleeping that way, but I am sleeping. I know I wont be able to do this for much longer now i'm almost entering the 2nd trimester, but does anyone know if it's bad to be doing this for now??

I wont see my OB for a few weeks so I wont be able to ask him for a while. Thanks

I haven't heard that it is bad for milk glands and oops!, I was sleeping on my tummy too in the first trimester. I would check with your obs and get an expert opinion, just call them. I now have the trouble of rolling over ont my back when sleeping, which is not good either, but Obs said it is not a major concern, just to perhaps be a bit more propped up.

Well they say if your BB hurt you can wear a sports bra as you sleep to try and help so that is placing pressure on them too, definately not as much as sleeping on your stomach but definately check with a dr or ob or the like if you are really worried. I never sleep on my stomach I used to not be able to breath but since being preg I've found I've started to find it more comfortable so I dunno... sorry I couldn't be more help :-(

Sleeping on your tummy will not stop or reduce your milk production. However later in your pregnancy sleeping on your tummy can reduce the blood supply to your growing baby. When you sleep on your tummy the weight of your baby and uterus squashes some blood vessels that run down your back and supply the placenta with oxygen and nutrients. It can also reduce the blood supply to some of your own organs.

heidi Guest

Thanks all - and thanks for that info Alan

I invested in a preg body pillow today - I love it already. I'm going to do my best at trying to sleep on my side with it. Better to get used to it I think.

Oooops - I am 34 weeks and I still sleep on my tummy

Noodle
    It is only a problem if you are directly on you tummy. If you are off to one side then that is OK. What happens is the weight of your body can push your uterus and baby against your back squashing some blood vessels. Usually it is far too uncomfortable to sleep directly on your tummy before your tummy is big enough to cause a problem

I try to sleep on my side but when I wake up I've rolled right over. I not lying on my tummy the way I normally wold - I guess my hip is about 45 degrees off the bed. I'm a bit worried about it but i can't work out how to stop it.

45 degrees should be ok. the pressure will not be directly on the vessels