Thread: twins

Default twins

I was preg last yr with twins but lost them when i was about 9wks preg. I just found out this wk im preg again, does anybody no the likely of me being preg with twins again?
    They were identical twins which dnt run thru the family. But iam very firtiale.. both times falling preg while being on the pill.

Not sure but a scan will give u an answer

barney Guest

congrats on yr pg hope all goes really well 4 u not sure about twins???

hi hun

congrats on the pg and so sorry for the loss of your precious twins last year.

just though i'd drop in and mention that identical twins come from the fathers side - so would come down to the paternal family line.

*TamaraP* Guest

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    hi hun

congrats on the pg and so sorry for the loss of your precious twins last year.

just though i'd drop in and mention that identical twins come from the fathers side - so would come down to the paternal family line.
    Yep, twins run on both sides of our families. His and mine. So we are getting set for when we have a scan to show 2 little heartbeats.

As for being pregnant with twins again, only a scan will tell. Sometimes falling pregnant on the pill or just after stopping can give you a higher chance of conceiving twins. I don't know why, but my DR told me this little information.

Congratulations!

If they were identical twins then the chances of it happening again are slim. Identical twins are a "fluke of nature" so to speak. They are not determined by age and do not run in families. Fraternal twins are more likely the older you get and they can run in the family but I believe they are passed down on the mother's side.

Good luck to you.

there is now research to say that there is a genetic link to having ID twins. There is a gene that can cause your egg to split. Its doesn't seem to be heriditery, but some women have more of a chance of having ID twins that others.
    HTH
    good luck and let us know how it goes

A friend of mine at work lost her twins and fell pregnant with twins again the following year. Scan would be your best bet.

Just a quick mention, in case you haven't already (which you probably have), stop taking the pill. The hormones in it can cause birth defects, or so it says in my pregnancy book. I'm sure it's something you've already thought of, but just in case baby brain set in or something..

Kim McManus-Smith Guest

Sorry for your loss last year. Every preg is different and apparently there is no assurance of twins again! Your hormone/chemical levels are affected by the pill and your age though and these can both influence your chances of concieving twins!?

Just another little piece of info, identical twins can also be caused by having a high natural level of hormones. So being super fertile may indicate twins, but generally the chances of repeat multiples is quite low.

Congratulations!

Angelbabies3 is very right in what she said.

I m/c twins in August 2007 and the reason they could proove they were identicle is because the sacs were still slightly attached. So yes one egg that split into two. And a clinical nurse just told me there is no reason - just a freak of nature. Identical twins is actually how you get simamese twins. Basically an identical twin preganncy is even higher risk then a twin pregnancy as so much more can go wrong. In saying this I m/c twins before Lachlan also but have no idea if they were identicle or not. We just had two seperated sacs. Appears I can't carry twins and I guess all the rest is so unknown. I am hoping for a singleton this time round.

Sharee
    did I just see your signature correct???
    Congrats!!!!
    that is awesome
    well done!!!!
    WHOOO HOO
    odette

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread, but thank you very much Odette! Me is very very scared.

Got my FET coming up so lets hope that we can be scared together and support each other when we need the straight jackets hey!
    It will be ALL good!!!!
    odette

GL odette, please pm me and let me know how it goes. Thinking of you.

twins....
    i am a fraternal twin. what is the chance of me having twins im 8wks now having 1st scan monday 19th... what stage do u usually find out??

Kim McManus-Smith Guest

Hi Taegan,
    I am 26wks with B/G frat twins.(First occurrence in family history!) Congrats to you!!! Frat twins are more likely developed by hormone levels due to the pill, age of mother or the production of two eggs in one cycle. The chance of of it being genetic is not common but can occur. Good luck with the scan on Monday. Hope all goes well for you!!! I hope this helps a little? Kim xoxo