Thread: Ultrasound at 5 weeks - gestational sac only

Default Ultrasound at 5 weeks - gestational sac only

Hi all

I had an early ultrasound yesterday, which i calculate was 21 days post ovulation or exactly 5 weeks pregnant. The sonographer could see the gestational sac (they measured it to be under 5 weeks but said this wasnt reliable). They couldnt see the yolk sac or anything else in the sac but said its possibly too early to see those things or there is something wrong. They wont know until i am rescanned i a week or so. I had my HCG levels checked and they are rising as they should be.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this ie had an early ultrasound where only the gestational sac is seen and then gone on to have normal ultrasounds after that. Based on my dates it was still very early when I had the ultrasound so quite possible its just too early to see anything.

Thanks

Beccas

Beccas,
    I had to have an early ultrasound to see if I was having multiples..they dont usually do it till 7 weeks and then they still are hesitant in seeing much.
    Maybe it is too early..I hope the next one brings great news
    Bec

yes its definitely too early, so nothing to worry about. I had a scan at 5w3d and there was just a tiny tiny sac with nothing else in it. You could barely see the sac.

I went back at 7 weeks and had a gorgeous tiny blob in there

oh guys, thanks so much for your comments. i feel better already. i am just really hoping it was too early to see anything other than the sac and that everything will be ok.

beccas

becmc Guest

Yep, too early to see. I had my scan at 5 weeks, 3 days and they couldn't see anything, but all is fine.

I've heard lots of stories where people have had scans prior to 7 weeks and not been able to see anything but the sac and gone on to have bundles of joy. I am sure everything is fine Beccas. Try to take it easy between now and your next scan

Definitely too early.
    Sometimes I think they shouldn't do u/s before six weeks, it stresses everyone out!
    I had a scan at 5w4d with my first and could only see a sac. Try not to worry!

same I had my scan at 5 weeks 3 days I think onlky a sac, 1 week later we had a Heart beat

Beccas, with the early early scans it's so common to see very little. I had one done only because I was at high risk for an ectopic, so I wanted to make sure bub was not in the tube. If HCG levels are going up then you should be good! At your next scan you'll see so much more.

i had my first scan at 5 weeks, 2 days. it was an internal scan, and she said that you could see the heart beat.

mum2bee: my scan at 5w3d was internal too...and there was only a sac. No yolk, no baby and definitely no hb

mine was internal as well

i wonder what she see pointed out then....? I never seen the hb, but, she said there it is. So, who knows. When i did tell my ob that, he also thought it was abit strange. ANd books generally say 6 weeks before heart starts beating.
    But, main thing is now....it still is in there!

Beccas,

I had my first scan at 6 weeks with this bub and they could only see the gestational sac. No yolk Sac and definately not heartbeat. I was in a state because I thought the pregnancy wasn't viable. I went back again at 9 weeks and saw the heartbeat. I didn't have an ultrasound with my first bub until 12 weeks and if we have anymore I will be waiting until 12 weeks. The stress of the early scans for me was not worth it.

Don't worry at all. It is very early. I would say even next week may still be too early to see anything new.

your girls are fantastic. thank you so much for your replies. i feel so much better. i also saw my gp yesterday and she said the scan is exactly what they would expect to see at 5 weeks. she didnt even think it was worth having another one but agreed to give me a referral to have one in another two or so weeks. im going to try and wait 3 weeks if i can to make sure i dont give myself anymore unecessary heartache.

i also started to get morning sickness yesterday so that made me feel better that things are ok.

thanks again everyone.

beccas