Thread: ultrasound freak out

sparkles Guest

Default ultrasound freak out

Hi guys,

I had my first ultrasound today and am freaking out a bit. At first they couldn't see the baby but then they did an internal and after calling someone in for a second opinion they said there was a strong heart beat.

The problem is that they told me I was only five weeks and four days, I thought I was at least six and a half weeks. If I go with their dates, I would have got my first positive pregnancy test at only three days after conception. I don't think this is possible! My doctor made me wait until three and a half weeks after I got my positive test, to ensure I'd be more than six weeks.

Can they get the dates wrong? What does it mean if I really was six and a half weeks but only measuring five and a half (but there was still a heartbeat)?

Any advice?

Sparkles

Truly, I reckon half the time they have no idea. Infact I said to my sonographer at the 12 week scan that if I was measuring 13 weeks by their dates, it means I had to have got pregnant BEFORE my period, so I was VERY confused!! I asked her a question about ovulation and dates etc and she said even with IVF and they know the exact second, the dates can still measure a week or so either side!! So I'd say its' one of those nature things that we'll just never understand!!
    if you've got heartbeat it sounds like all is well!! Good luck for a healthy and happy pregnancy xo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

sparkles,

Ultrasounds aren't always right or accurate (as too is the skill of the person scanning you) - many women get induced based on ultrasound date estimates when babies just aren't ready to come because they aren't quite ready. It's actually better to accept the later date in any case, to avoid the pressure of induction from your carer - as long as baby is doing fine and scans say the placenta and fluids are fine, why induce? (within reason of course!)

See if you can go somewhere else and get a second opinion - for someone not to be able to see a baby then someone to be able to see a strong heartbeat, it sounds a little dodgy. Usually a heartbeat is visible from 6 weeks onwards so I wouldn't worry just yet. Can you go to another ultrasound clinic or get a second opinion? I find that going to a womens ultrasound clinic is much better, they are more experienced and practised in women's scans.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I had the same thing with my u/s too...They had to do an internal coz they couldn't get a clear picture. They saw the h/b fine, but put my dates back a week. By my calculations though, there is no way I could have conceived when the u/s dates say I did - I was in Sydney with a girlfriend, and no boys allowed!!

One of my best friends had it happen to her as well. She knew her dates exactly coz she fell pregnant the one and only time she had sex! Yet the sonographer consistently told her she was 2-3 weeks behind her dates!

Go figure

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's such a common story! Stick to your own dates, they are usually more accurate You can always use the ultrasound date for the Ob though
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

You poor chook. That first ultrasound is SO important for your peace of mind, & when they stuff up, it is such a freak out. (When I was first pg with Charlie a similar thing happened, so I know how you feel.)

As the others have said, know in your own head your own dates, and stick with them, but also accept a later date so you don't get induced for no reason too early.......

clare076 Guest

Hi Sparkles
    I had an ultrasound when I was 6w4d (no doubt) they put my dates at 5w5d. We also got a strong heartbeat, but the sonographer had difficulty measuring accurately due to bubs being so small.
    I had another scan at 8w5d and bubs was spot on with my dates.
    Dont worry to much about the dates of early scans, most obs go by the date of your last period anyway.
    Clare

sparkles Guest

Thanks guys, that's very reassuring. I couldn't wait for the ultrasound so I could stop worrying, but then it made me worry more!

sparkles, please don't stress. as the other ladies said, there could be any number of reasons - foremost being human error.

at my first ultrasound Jelly was measuring about five days under her due date. by the time i had my next u/s she was measuring about 5 days larger then she should have been. my ob said both times just to ignore the measurements as they are often inaccurate, and are only indications, not absolutes. i haven't had another u/s, but my fundal height is measuring larger then i should for my dates, and yet my ob said that my baby will most likely be of average size when its born.