Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasound queries

Irena Guest

Default Ultrasound queries

Hi, I’m new to belly belly.
    Currently im 6w3d pregnant with baby number 3. It’s been 6 years since my last normal delivery. I feel like it’s my first time, it’s funny how quickly you forget what its like to be pregnant.
    Anyway, here is my question; im hoping maybe someone is able to give me some feedback.

I had an ultrasound last week 5w5days, and at the ultrasound the zincographer mentioned that something was wrong, the baby does not look the way it should. After confirming with the doctor on duty, he said “ the size of the baby is 6w6d, and at this stage it should have a heart beat, it looks like a non viable pregnancy, lets retest in a weeks, and you should have some blood test to see if the HCG level drop”.

Anyway, you can imagine my shock, I know for a fact that I was 5w5d not 6w6d, I’m regular and my last period was on the 14/10/05 following a chemical pregnancy.
    These are the results on my blood test:
    4w5d = hcg 1,930
    5w5d = hcg 18,600
    6w = hcg 29,300

I’m having another ultrasound on wed 30/11/2005, and I’m worried sick that this baby will not have a heart beat.
    Has anyone been through this before? I’ve heard of cases when the baby is smaller then it should be, but bigger by a week and a 1 day? It doesn’t make sense. I know I ovulated on day 15; I used an ovulation kit to detect fertility, so I know my dates are correct? Could it be twin?
    8-[

lucysmummie Guest

I cant help you but my [-o< go out to you and your family in this time of need dont stress

Irena Guest

Thanks shinee. Its seems like praying is all i've been doing lately. It was so easy with my first 2, now I just want to know everything, looking for answers, needing info. Thanx again

Hi Irena,

Sorry I'm not much help either - I'm a suck it and see mumma - not much science goes on to make babeis here!
    I just wanted to welcome you to BB, and hopefully your ride will be a happy and healthy one. If not, there is lots of support available to you through all BB's lovely members.
    Hope the second scan goes OK.

Fi

lucysmummie Guest

well I hope your prayers get answered, come visit us in the Due in July thread sometime you can get heaps of suppport in there im sure

Irena Guest

Thanks girls, this really does help. I only have to wait for another 2 days for this ultrasound, and then hopefully things will clear themselves, and I can chill for a while.

I have noticed after a bad attack of m/s on saturday, Ive been starving. All I can think about is food, today I've already eaten 5 times, and im still hungry. I wonder how much more food can I eat in 1 day!

Hope all is well for all the BB member out there, Im happy i've finally joined.

I'm not sure how accurate the dating is. When I went I was 6weeks and 3 days, but they told me based on the size that the baby was 5 weeks and 3 days. But she also said that my due date wouldn't change :-s

And I could see the heartbeat which I didn't think you could see until 6 weeks??

Irena, your HCG levels look great. I am sure things are fine.

Hi Irena
    The baby would mormally have a heart beat between 6 and 7 weeks.
    but do not worry because the U/S is only accurate to within 1 week. This means that when they did the U/S scan to them the baby could have looked to be anything from 4 weeks 5 days to 6 weeks 5 days. If your are sure of your dates then I would not expect to be able to see a heart beat 5 weks 5 days

Hope this sets your mind at rest.

Irena Guest

Hi Alan and kyliealysha

Thanks for your help, your response has set my mind at ease, a little. I still have until Wednesday to be sure. Thanks again, your advice is greatly appericated.

Hi Irena and welcome to BellyBelly

I just wanted to wish you all the best for your next scan on Wed and [-o< that you will see a little HB beating along nicely.

All the best

Hi Irena,

I am sort of in a similar position, but oposite... (does that make sense?)

Anyway, we had an u/s yesterday and I am meant to be 7w1d(as of yesterday) but she said that I looked 6w1d... there was possibly a HB, but her machine was a bit small to pick it up...

We are going to a big imaging place on Friday, but it doesn't help the stress does it!

Thinking of you... Good Luck

Irena Guest

Ambah, Thanks for your great wishes. Support is greatly appreciated.

Mel09, being smaller for dates is Ok, with both my kids I was always smaller by almost a week. They were both born a little early and a little small, however if you look at them now you would never know.

I hope all is well at your next ultrasound, Im getting mine done at a diffrent place. I dont trust the the first place I went to.

Best wishes.

Irena

Thanx Irena.. that is comforting.

Good luck with your u/s please let me know how you go!

Hi Irena,
    I will be thinking of you today and sending lots of positive thoughts your way. This type of story makes me feel angry. The sonographer should not be passing judgement to you on weather your baby looks okay.
    Take lots of heart in the knowledge that at this very early stage of your pregnancy it is often difficult to detect h/b size etc. U/s is a wonderful tool but if you were not yet 6 weeks a h/b would be difficult to detect if at all.
    I look forward to hearing how you go today.
    With lots of love and baby blessings,
    Deb

Irena Guest

Hello eveybody

I had my ultrasound today ( at a diffrent clinic) and I was officially told that Im a proud owner of a jellybean, with a heart beat! So all the worry and stress was for nothing!
    To be honest, Im now angry at the sonographer who origallly claimed that I have a non viable -pregnancy, etc.
    I am wondering, is there some kind of action I can take against that place to prevent them from stressing out other mothers in future? I mean that day I cried for hours, thinking the worse, stressing to a point where I could have miscarried. I just get reallu angry at health care providers who have no idea.
    Sorry, I got carried away.

lucysmummie Guest

Yeah you could probabley go to department of fair trading or just goto the manager in charge but things like that they might have to tell u those things because it is policy??? some work places are like tht???

CONGRATULATIONS on your Jelly bean though!!!! way to go!!!! \/

Irena that is such wonderful news! Congratulations on your mmm Jellybean??!!!

You absolutely can (and dare I say should) do something about the bafoon in charge of the ultrasound machine you saw earlier in the week.

Complaints get lost in phone calls - don't even bother to do that. You need to put into writing what happened and what was said. Try to recall the name of the person who scanned you. Put in the time of day and the date. This needs to be directed to the Practice Manager. Ensure you keep a copy and about 1 week after you post it phone and ask for some follow up on your complaint.

This was just needless, careless and the pinnacle of unprofessional behaviour from this sonographer.

Do tell me how it goes if you can...

Happpy baby growing Irena!
    Love and blessings,
    Deb

YAY Irena... that is great news...

Please do follow up with a complaint... A sonographer that did my u/s for PCOS wouldn't tell me anything, as he had said something to a pg lady about being pg, as she didn't know... and got in major trouble for it.

They are not Dr's and are not meant to tell you anything, you may be lucky if they do tell you what they see.

So yes I think a leter to the practice first, then if you don't hear anything possibly Bronwyn Pike??? Actually maybe contact the Health Services Commissioner in your state...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast