Thread: ultrasound question...

alex c Guest

Default ultrasound question...

hello every1 i had an ultra sound at 5weeks(internal and external) because i had alot of cramping and the doctors wanted to be sure that everything was ok thankfully it was...then i had to have another one at 8 weeks(internal and external) because i was spotting and i had alot of cramping again and once again bub was great...well now iv heard that i might have to have another one for down syndrome at around 12 weeks im almost 11 weeks on tuesday and im abit concerned that all these ultra sounds might harm my baby what are your thoughts on this... 8-[

I'm sure that any risks would be weighed up against the benefits.

Melinda Guest

I had fortnightly scans up until 16w and as far as I am aware, there is no harm to the baby. With my history of m/c, it was important to me to seek that reassurance that everything was well with our baby.

Hi there

I had very similar circumstances to you and also had 2 scans done before my 12 week scan - the 12 week scan was done to eliminate Downs Syndrome and from what I've read you only have a 2 week window where they can take the measurements they need- from week 11 to week 13.

I think the scan is worth it and besides you get to see the bub again which for me has always been very reassuring - good luck either way O

dianna

Hi Alex c

You mentioned that you had a scan at 5 weeks - this is going to sound like a really stupid question but, what could you see from this scan?

I have booked in for a scan next week because my cycles were so out of whack, doc wants to get a more accurate date.

Thanks
    Al

The only problem I have heard is that some people believe the u/s can give the baby a headache... No lasting concerns though!

pepsisteps Guest

Default Ultrasounds in Pregnancy

Hi there - with my history I was having an ultrasound every couple of days when I was first pregnant this time around - as I had a massive bleed and was in hospital for a couple of weeks. My best friend is a OB Sonographer (performs ultrasounds) and she claims that there is no harm for baby or mummy. I tried to have a CVS test at week 12 but could not due to the position of the baby - so I waited for 4 weeks and had an amniocentesis (to test for DS etc) (which incidentally did not hurt, the Dr was so good, she distracted me talking and I was asking her when she was going to start and she had finished!! All I felt was the initial local anaesthetic going in...) The results of the amnio were fantastic - another girl who is just perfectly fine!! Best to placate you and find out all is fine with baby and then you and baby will be more calm and relaxed.
    Good luck! \/

alex c Guest

thanks for all the feed back iv got an appointment for an u/s next tuesday so i will let u all know...as for your question alton i didnt see much at all it was so tiny and it didnt even have a heart beat yet so sorry to dissapoint but the 8 week scan was better as i saw the legs and arms and heart beat...good luck darls

Good luck for your u/s next Tuesday!

I had 12 u/s done during my last pg due to a history of m/c. Nothing wrong at all with my little one

All the best!

alex c Guest

really thats alot of u/s but its good to hear that they are not as bad as i actually thought they would be......

Good luck with your u/s next Tuesday.

alex c Guest

thanks Kazz...dc is really excited about seeing the baby for the first time and im so happy im going to see my baby again... \/

Well we can both post our good news @ seeing our bubs as I have my u/s next Tuesday too.