Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasounds

Default Ultrasounds

I was just wondering if anyone could share with me how much, approx, ultrasounds cost at each visit?

I am just trying to get an idea of how much having a bub will cost us. We are going to go private. So if anyone has any other useful info that they wouldn't mind sharing, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nadine.

P.S Has anyone used/using RPA in Sydney? If so how do you find it?

Hi Nadine

Sorry, can't help you there unfortunately! I live in rural WA and as the only place I can go to for ultrasounds is the regional hospital, my ultrasounds are covered by Medicare.

Similarly, my hospital delivery and associated costs were covered by Medicare and my private health fund, even though I went private which is good!

Hope that someone can help you - I'm sure that someone will!!

Best wishes

I had an ultrasound recently & it ended up being $40 out of my pocket....

I have friends in Melb that have gone Private all the way it's cost them a small fortune!

Sorry I cannot help anymore than that!???

Hi nadine, I assume that the cost in syd would be higher than melb, but here in melb i pay about 130-150 for an ultrasound and get about half of that back from medicare.

I am going publicly, but am seeing an OB/GYN his fees are

1st visit $118.00 - $60 back
    subsequent visits $ 48.00 - $25 back
    pn call fee $ 80.00 - none back
    post natal checkup $ 82.00 - $48 back
    midwife visit $ 22.00 - none back.

If PG is uncomplicated it is usually something like visits every 4 weeks after 12 week period. Then fortnightly visits after thirty weeks, then weekly visits i think the last 4 weeks, so rough cost for me including 2 ultrasounds would be $1,200, and I will get almost half of that back.

Hi nadine
    I too cant really help you except that we are having our baby at RPA birthing centre - it is just wonderful and under the public system - the birthing centre is part of the new hospital and really looks like a private hospital. We had our first two u/s at a private but as my dad is a doctor they bulk billed us our next u/s is at RPA and is also covered by medicare

My OB does things a little differently. He charges a flat $2200 gap fee for everything, which includes all ultrasounds, all midwive visits, all delivery fees, all his consultations (prior to and after the birth). My private medical insurance covers the rest.

The only thing this doesn't include is anaethetist fees if you need a caesar and any peadeatrican (sp?) fees if the are required for baby, post birth.

This amount is then paid off over the course of the pregnancy, (we always joke that Olivia is a "lay-by baby"!) and then when the final account is fully paid, I get around 40% back from Medicare, due to some recent change in medical coding?

Hi Nadine,

I am going Private and have had two ultrasounds. They cost $118 each and I think it is about $60 back from Medicare but I can remember. A friend of mine went public recently and had her ultrasounds at the hospital and it cost her nothing.

Gemma.

Min, That sounds alot more than when I had Maddy....
    Okay, that's 6 yr ago!!

But my only U/S was at 20+ wks, as I only returned from Bali 2 days earlier! There was no fee, then my Ob visits were if you paid on the day, about $32, but you got about $17 back from Medicare, I had maddy at The Angliss, was not charged anything!?

HHHHHMMMMMM,
    I think I noted at the OB's when I was lat there that Preg visits were about $40... Hmmm, have to check that out!!! Why? I don't know incase I am preg soon, or maybe I should wait until 20 wks again!!!! hee hee hee!

I had an ultrasound at the Hosp & paid nothing when I was bleeding!???

I wonder if the Midwife care does U/S at Hosp & if they charge????

Tracey, I have had all private ultrasounds so far because my OB is a private OB, but he delivers publicly.

There still isnt any fees associate with the actual birth at the Angliss. How did you find if for yours? it has changed a lot in 6 years, i have always lived near it, heaps of extensions etc, bloody confusing which entrance to go in now! i get lost every time i got there

The original midwife had nightmare fingers.. *sorry if TMI*
    But she had fat short ones, ones you really don't want to be forced into your private part!!!! I started vomiting blood from breathing thru my throat & burst some blood vessels, My Mum naturally panicked & the M/W told her to calm down & stop carrying on!!!!!!
    Luckily her shift ended & the next M/W was a godsend, she could not have been more caring, friendly etc tham my own Mum!!! She was gorgeous, talked softly, slowly & calmly, my older sister arrived as i was getting them seriousw contractions!!!!
    The nurse explained to her that when the head began to crown she should take a Maternity Pad & run it under the hot water tap, until it was as hot as she could handle, then press that against my twat, thebheat counter acted the chinese burn/stretching feeling & it was instant relief, shortly after maddy was placed on me!

I hated them waking me during the night etc, but I guess they have to do checks etc.... all the nurses were kind after that especially when I got the blues 3 days later & was a blubbering mess!

But a good experience all in all & will go there again!!!

Good Luck, meals were not fab either, so i opted for the sanga platter thingy most days! Sanga's always taste better when someone else makes em!

i have actually stayed there a couple of times with illnesses, and strangely i quite like hospital food!! yuk, i know. my sister had a b of a m/w there the first time and ended up refusing to deal with her, but then had a lovely one after that, maybe they are one and the same!

Nadine

I had my u/s done privately at up to 16w they were $130 and I got $114 back from Medicare. The 20w u/s was $165 but I got $149 back from Medicare.

As for OBs they all charge differently. I am going private and am being charged $2400 all up. I have so far paid $1710 and got $1386 back from Medicare. I have my second installment to pay again soon. I am going to a private hospital which will cost me $280 out of pocket, since I have an excess on my private health fund. I know that I still have to pay for the paediatician and the anaethetist as well, since I will be having a c/s.

Make sure you sign up for the medicare safety net, it has saved me heaps.

Is the Medicare safety net on the total amount paid or only the amount the bills cost after the Medicare rebate?

My OB fees are about $700 for the birth. It was $118 first visit and about $65 back from Medicare. The first visit was a double appointment but only took about 10 mins! Then I will be going monthly, then fortnightly then weekly and paying each visit. Hospital will be $500 excess plus $280 out of pocket.

Gemma.

Nadine I'm in Sydney as well & my u/s have both been $110, not sure how much I can claim back - haven't done that part yet! I'm doing shared care (going between Dr & hospital clinic) and all of those appointments are covered by medicare.

As for going private, for me it was waaay to expensive. It was going to cost over $2500, just for the hospital - the excess, OB being there, room fees etc. I had to go to Bigge St Hospital in Liverpool cos that's the only place my insurance covered which meant I had the choice of only 1 OB anyway (there's only 1 working there). So all in all I decided it was better for me to have the bub at Campbelltown Public which is close to home.

squeeze Guest

i haven't had to pay for my first u/s and when DH had one himself (suspected gallstones) a few months back we didn't pay then either. not too sure why we're not paying anything, but i'm not complaining! we're with a private insurer but that hasn't made a difference so far.

I had both my Kids public. My first I was seeing a Ob private but he bulked billed if you had a health care card. So that was good. All the U/S I have had between both preg's I had to pay a $50 gap fee. I had both boys at the Hawkesbury Hospital & it was great, it caters for both private & public so even though I went public I had the same bed, same food, same m/w's etc that I would have had if I went private.

*Megan* Guest

Hi Nadine

I am in Brissie - but my u/s have cost a huge $185 with about $80 back - think! I have also had little u/s's in the OB's office and that has been free (?) My OB charges - $55 per vist and I get about $26 back.

I also have private insurance but the OB fees will cost about $1000 and I don't get any of this back...this is not including hospital and all the other bits that you need! Not cheap!

Best of luck..

Megan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast