Thread: Ultrasounds - some questions

Mark&Jess Guest

Default Ultrasounds - some questions

Just a few quick questions regarding ultrasounds....

1. Does our ultrasound cost anything? We are going through public system.

2. Normal vs 3D - Is it possible to get 3D ultrasounds around Brisbane/Gold Coast? If so, is there an additional cost? How much?

3. Ultrasound photos, video, etc - Is there additional charge for these, and are they easily available?

Hope someone can help with this information.

Okey dokey Mark, I can only answer for my personal situation in Sydney, but hopefully it will give you some idea of what to expect. However, I would expect that when you ring to book in you will get most of the info you need.

I'm doing shared care, which is going to alternate visits with my GP & the Drs at the public hospital where munchkin will be born. My u/s cost $110, but I can claim most of it back on medicare, not 100% sure how much though.

You would be getting the normal 2D u/s done. Only specific places have the 3D u/s machines, not sure where in Brisbane though. I was reccommended to have it done around 26-32w as the baby has lots of fat then so it looks better. The cost in Sydney is around $230, so twice that of the regular u/s.

When I booked my u/s I asked about getting a video done & it was $15 extra and they supply the video. We have shown it to EVERYONE!! Although it's only about a minute long, we just love being able to see it whenever we want. Some places however don't have that option, best to ask when you book in. With the photos, I think most w/s machines can do them. I didn't ask for any & the sonographer automatically printed one out for us, my mum was there & he gave her a copy too

HTH!

Hi Mark&Jess

I can only answer based on Adelaide

I went public and had all my scans done at the hospital where i was giving birth and didn't have to pay anything. I also got a short 3 min video at 18wks of my u/sound that also didn't cost anything, but we had to take in our own video to use

We only have 1 hospital here (i think) that does 3D imaging so I can't help you out with that one.

Love :hbeat:

Debbie Lee Guest

Wow! It must vary greatly btwn states and hospitals.

I am in Geelong and, like Sarah, I am doing shared care.

So far the only money I have had to part with has been for my antenatal classes ($60). Everything else has been completely free.

At about 14 weeks I went into the hospital for my first appointment where I saw a midwife and had a basic scan done (the first time we got to see the baby). We received 2 pictures (which you can see on little Nobba's www below) and the scan only lasted about 5 minutes.

Then at 19 weeks, I had a proper Ultrasound down at the medical imaging centre at Geelong hospital. I had to drink 500mls of water an hour before hand and we were in there for about 45 minutes. We took in a video and got a copy. It cost us nothing (though the technition dude was less than enthusiastic about the video for some reason). We also got another photo of the bubs but it wasn't nearly as good as the pics from the first scan (I think the dude was reluctant to give us anything decent! Had a bee in his bonnet).
    Now, he had trouble getting the view of the heart that he wanted so we get to go in for another ultrasound in a couple of weeks time (I will be 22 weeks) so that is a bit of a bonus. As far as I know, we won't have to pay for this one either. After all, it's not my fault the baby wasn't in the right position right?

Anyway, by the sounds of it, each state/hospital is different so I guess the QLD people would be best to answer your questions more specifically. Otherwise, give the hospital a call. I called them with a few questions and they were very obliging. I guess sometimes they just assume that you will know.

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing all about it!!!

Hi Mark & Jess,

I had all of my hospital appts and scans done at the Royal Brisbane Womens hospital.

Everything was free... the scans, the antenatal classes etc.

They did not use 3D ultrasounds at my hospital. And I am not sure in Brisbane where to find that technology... best to ask your Dr maybe?

They also did not video tape the scans.
    But at both my scans they printed out 2 or 3 photos for me to take home (these were free).

Hope this helps!

Hi Mark and Jess

I don`t know how the public system works so sorry I can`t help you there, we have had 1 U/S which was free by our OB at 9 wks, 6 days really looking forward to the next one whenever that will be.

They do 3D u/s here in Newcastle so I`m sure if you want one done you`ll find one in your area.

Good Luck with everything and it`s amzing when you see bubs for the first time.

Take Care

Deeanne

I think it also depends whether you are on a low income Health Care card as to whether you have to pay at some of the other places for your ultrasound.
    My first (6 week) ultrasound was at a QDI dept (Queensland Diagnostic Imaging) and because I was on a Health Care Card at the time, I did not have to pay anything.

Scarlett Guest

Hi,

I am in townsville (north queensland) I am a private patient but my ob has bulk billed all tests. The xray place where we have had the ultrasounds done told me you can claim one per trimester on medicare. They did both 2d and 3d each time and you could purchase a cd with photos and video footage (not much) for $10.

Hope that helps.

Hey Mark and Jess,

As some of the girls have said, you might have to ask what is included in your u/s.

I have only gone thru the private imaging place, which costs me about $150 for an u/s, and I got $80 something back from medicare. We have since found out that they won't do video tapes anymore either, which is a bit rich considering how much you pay!

Nic

Mark&Jess Guest

Thanx for the info. For future reference....we went through Qld X-ray. Cost was $145.00 and we got $85.25 back from medicare. No video available but we got a good photo. =D>

Hi Mark & Jess. The reason a lot of places dont do video or even print outs is because of the legal implications. If there is something that they havent picked up on an ultrasound, and you have a copy of it, you can prove that they have indeed missed something and sue their asses off. Whereas if you dont have a copy they can just say that the images were not clear enough at the time to pick up those results.