Thread: Underwire bras - OK or not?!

amberdee Guest

Default Underwire bras - OK or not?!

I've just been out and bought a new bra as I've gone up a full cup size now, but a friend has just told me that you shouldn't wear undrewire bras while pregnant as it can cause problems with the development of your milk ducts (or something!). Is this really the case? Is is OK to continue to wear underwires for the first few months at least? All that the books say it to wear a good supportive bra...
    Thanks for your advice!

I went out and got a wireless bra just to be on the safe side but it is true that wearing wire can cause problems with the milk ducts.

I got some good wireless bras from Target, not too expensive. I think Hot Options is the brand. They are pretty supportive, they are kinda made to have the same support as wire bra but without the wire..

They really do get uncomfortable after a while, as your belly grows, they just don't sit right kwim? And they can change so quickly over a pg. You realy should go and get fitted properly for a good maternity bra. Check out this months Practical Parenting Magazine, it has a really great, in depth article about maternity bra's and does a road test of 12 different types. HTH
    Last edited by Trillian; December 4th, 2006 at 05:57 PM.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Yeah i agress with all of the above.. i wear a sports bra that doesnt have wires feels like a normal bra.. Im going to get some maternity ones soon they are getting bigger and out growing this style of bra but been very handy to have for the time being...

Ive also been told not to wear wired bras as it can block the milk ducts.
    I bought a bonds bra with no wires and i find it really comfy and supportive.
    I found my underwire ones got a bit uncomfy anyway around the 16 wk mark - i dont know if it was because they were too small or because of the wires or what.

I've only just bought a few non-underwire bras, and I have to say they are sooo much more comfy - I don't do the huge sigh of relief as I take my bra off at nighttime anymore lol.

I'm definitely not saying you should ignore the advice above, but just so you know, I didn't know about the "no underwire during pregnancy" thing and wore mine every day during both pregnancies right up to the end. It was OK. I have heard that it is even more important to avoid underwire when you are nursing. I did do that. (and couldn't wait to get back to my regular bras when I was done! )
    BTW - I've also read that wearing a sports bra regularly is not healthy for your breasts in general, because it compresses them and does not allow for proper lymph fluid drainage. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but sports bras definitely do compress!
    Good luck finding a comfy, supportive bra!

I went to Target on the weekend to buy a wirefree bra. They have a section medium support wireless and firm support wireless. I got one from the medium support and think it is fantastic. The sections made it very easy.

I'm the same as mamma of 2, i never knew i wasn't supposed to be wearing underwire bras & wore them the whole time i was pg with Mya,then started with maternity bras after she was born. Mind u my boobs didn't get that much bigger during pg,so i never needed to go out & buy another sized bra. This time round i'm still wearing my underwires most of the time.
    I never had any probs with my milk while BFing Mya. But all ppl are different, so i guess just wear what u feel comfy in

amberdee Guest

Thanks everyone. I guess it's reassuring to hear that everyone is different! I think I might have to go out and try on a few different options and just see what feels best... for now anyway!

amberdee Guest

OK!! I promise to do the right thing and find myself a lovely wire-less bra! (I've just been needing to get my head around the idea... haven't worn a non-underwire since I was about 14!!) LOL

As I said - I didn't intend for you to ignore the advice already given. Just didn't want you to be stressed about what you were wearing already! And I also wanted to pass on the information about sports bras. Good support is essential.