Thread: Urine testing

LizzysMum Guest

Default Urine testing

Just curious - how many of you have to bring urine at every checkup?

With my first I had to bring it every time and was weighed religiously every time (YUK), this time nothing, nada, zip

I am going with a midwife this time, last time was a Ob (who was obsessed by weight).

Is the testing really necessary? Maybe Alan can advise?

TIA

I had a great OB and am going with her again for this pregnancy and she didn't weigh me once, and i don't remember ever doing any urine tests.

I'm seeing an OB I have been weighed every visit except the last one - maybe he just forgot , not sure. I have to start taking a urine sample to every visit from my next one (24wks).

My Ob weighs me, but he doesn't seem at all bothered by anyone's weight, no matter whether you're putting on lots or little!

He likes a urine sample from about 20 weeks I think?????? Can't really remember when I started that, but it wasn't from my first visit at 6 weeks.

I think alot of hospitals don't worry about weighing and samples these days, I wouldn't stress about it. Hopefully Alan will drop in and explain why!!!!!

I only saw midwives during my pregnancy and they never weighed me at all.
    I only had to give one urine sample and that was right at the beginning when I had to get all my blood tests which was done by my GP not the hospital.

last pregnancy i never got weighed, and only had to give urine samples twice throughout my entire pregnancy - i had a fabulous OB by the way. this time i have a differnt ob because we moved and i get weighed and have to give a urine sample every time. so go figure... i guess it just depends on what your doc/ob considers to be standard practice.

Most places no longer check your weight and they only check urin if there are any symptoms

LizzysMum Guest

Thankyou ladies and gentleman.

My Ob last time was an older fellow and I think that was just his way. I must say though I hated it and really resented the weighing thing. He would harp on about weight (even though I only put on 9kg the whole time) and if you didn't put on much he put a gold star on your card!! I found it condescending and degrading.

I am so glad I am with a MW this time

OMG at your Ob! What a disgusting, horrible thing to do! I'm glad you're not going through that this time