Thread: Vicks VapoRub?

Question Vicks VapoRub?

Hi all,

Just after some help. I have a bad cold at the moment and i'm struggling to breath. For the last 3 nights i haven't slept well and I'm really needing a good night sleep.

Is it ok to use Vicks VapoRub while pg?

Have you got a vaporiser? I have always used mine when any of us have a cold.

Yes vicks is fine

I personally wouldn't use it. Eucalyptus oil, and camphor should be avoided during pregnancy. I would just use a vaporiser or an oil burner and avoid putting anything on my skin.

I had stuffy nose and I was told by my Ob and GP that Vic's VapoRub is safe to use! Besides, you are applying it around your nose which is so far from where you bub is lying! Hope you recover from your cold soon... Also, I was told that you could use Salinex to clear up the congestion! You could buy Salinex from the pharmacy!

Bron -Sorry to jump in here on you, have you had any bleeding from your nose at all with the sinus/cold issues? Just curious?

Sonya - no bleeding. Just really stuffed up and painful headaches.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Carmen - doesn't the label say not to apply it around your nose? That would burn wouldn't it? (I seem to remember doing this as a kid hehe)

Bron: I had terrible sinus headaches during my first pg, no congestion tho... I was just DYING to take a nurofen coz I knew it would fix it (but of course I couldnt' take it) and the only relief I got from the pain, was to sleep with a cold flannel draped over my eyes and nose. It must have been inflammation for that to relieve it.. panadeine etc just werent' working. Apparently eucalyptus or tea trea in an oil burner are helpful for congestion, or put it in a steamy bowl and breathe in the steam.

Liz, According to the Vic VapoRub's direction, it could be apply on chest, throat, and nose to relieve congestion.