Thread: Weight gain in first trimester

Default Weight gain in first trimester

Hi all,

Just wondering what is acceptable weight gain in the first trimester? I've heard that many women actually lose weight! No such luck for me - even though I have been throwing up, I must be managing to keep plenty of nutrients down..I'm almost at week 10 and I've put on about 5 kg already in first tri! I'm still technically in my 'healthy weight range' but I did think that was pretty rapid weight gain! I wasn't particularly sensible with food before finding out I was pregnant, but now I'm eating properly and my metabolism mustn't be used to it I guess!

Juliette

I put on at least 12kgs in my First Tri, Jules...
    I think my body went a bit crazy to finally be having good (and lots of) food. Not to mention I was at least 5kgs underweight before I fell PG. I believe my massive gain was definately due to a stuffed up metabolism...
    I think they say a gain of 10-15kg through your whole PG is about average (however I put on 3 times that much!)
    Don't worry about it though as everyones bodies work differently, and its just great that you are eating properly, and bubs is getting proper nutrition! Your body might just want to hang onto a bit of extra fat just so it has reserves... .

hmmm.... not sure about the "right" weight gain... but I lost 8kg total during my first trimester....

i have lost about 2kg so far. from throwing up and also from not eating regular meals. mainly dinner. i tend to graze all day as i cant sit down to a regular meal of meat.

Hey Juliette,
    I lost about 3kg, but have put it all back on since being better.
    I say go with the punches! This is the only time in your life noone can make you feel guilty about being a little plumper!
    Fi

Yeah Fi! I think adopting your attitude is the way to go. Any little extra fat cells will only help me protect bubs I guess (as long as it's not too excessive!). Hey - it's a good excuse to go shopping too!

Melinda Guest

I only put on about 0.5 - 1kg during the first trimester and during my entire PG I gained 17.5kg (well actually 18kg but I lost 0.5kg during the last week or two). I lost practically all of that weight within only a few weeks of Jacob's birth as it was all fluid....I'm struggling to shift the final 2kg which is obviously where I indulged a little LOL.

HSVGirl Guest

Hi Girls,

At the moment I have lost 5.5 kgs and I have hit the 11.5 week mark, I am overweight anyway and both my GP and Ob said there is nothing to worry about - but this is for me and as everyone is individual. I have put it down to drinking buckets of water (3-4 litres a day) and eating better regualr meals! I don't really pee too much now as I think my body has adjusted to the fact that I am constantly drinking and it must be good for flushing all the yuk stuff out of my system. I also lost weight with my daughter but not as much as I have this time around - it is quite strange really I have been starting to tell some close family & friends and they are quite supurised as I must look like I have lost some weight to them (I personally cannot see it)????

See ya later
    Sharyn